Microsoft Sticky Keys

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryannette

Wise One
Reaction score
I found today that Microsoft XP Pro has a feature that I had not been aware of. If you press the shift key 5 times, you lock the shift key (make it a sticky key) and it is a modifier key for anything else you do. I work in SolidWorks and use the shift key a lot for program functions. So I really thought my computer was possessed. The really infuriating part is that there is no way that I can find to disable the feature. Anybody else seen this?

AAAAAAAUUGH! :angry:

I found that a while back on my laptop, while trying to think of a word and casually tapping the shift and the thing gets locked up. I was ready to toss it out the window in short order, eventually using the on/off switch. :smileyballs:

I found today that Microsoft XP Pro has a feature that I had not been aware of. If you press the shift key 5 times, you lock the shift key (make it a sticky key) and it is a modifier key for anything else you do. I work in SolidWorks and use the shift key a lot for program functions. So I really thought my computer was possessed. The really infuriating part is that there is no way that I can find to disable the feature. Anybody else seen this?AAAAAAAUUGH! :angry:
There is some way to disable it... I just don't remember how. I had a similar experience with my earthwork program and the shift key.

-Ray

If you want to disable the Sticky Keys feature, go to Control Panel > Accesibility Options

You will get a pop-up screen that will allow you to disable the Sticky Keys feature. :)

JR

^^^Is there anything you don't know?

Everytime I see something I have an answer to, there's JR already with the solution!

j/k buddy

Heh .. I LIVE on a computer. :true:

Whether I am at work, school, or at home - I guess it is just a symptom of the times :eek:hmy:

JR

I'm trying to teach tonight, but all I can do is troll eb so I can beat JR to answer...

Students aren't learning because of you JR

I was going to suggest stop eating sticky buns while typing, but I see you already have your answer :p

JR has no doubt gotten his keyboard sticky in the past, and I imagine eventually figured out a way to clean up the mess he created.
Good work.
With all the time that JR spends on the computer, you have to wonder how he finds new content to get himself into those sticky situations...

I wash my hands after eating sticky buns and handy work, so it wasn't that. I'm still working on the sticky keys, though. It appears to be a conflict between XP and SolidWorks. I founds some work-arounds, but it's still aggravating me.

Back