Metcalf and Eddy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jbatch

Looking for some advice. I've seen a lot of recommendations saying Metcalf and Eddy was a must for the Civil/WR test. I broke down and spent the money for the Fourth Edition of the book thinking newest edition would have the most up-to-date information. I haven't been real impressed with the information in this book. When I see Metcalf and Eddy referenced in posts and on practice exams it seems they are using the 3rd edition. I'm considering ordering a copy of the 3rd edition to see if it provides more examples and equations. Does anybody have any advice or thoughts on this?

jbatch

I have 3rd ed (borrowed from my bosses desk) and it is ok.

I know the 4th edition is severly updated to include processes that weren't even invented during the 3rd ed prining which are common use today (UV disenfection, etc).

I haven't compared the two, but the 4th should be about the same as the 3rd - the 3ed isn't exactly 'packed' with good sample problems.

I find that this is a good waste water resource because of the detailed index. Hopefully 4ed has the same good index.

Cheese

Metcalf and Eddy is considered "THE BOOK" in water and wastewater. I'll have to go upstairs and see what edition mine is, I can't even remember right now.

I just checked my text and I have the third edition.

I think if you are taking Civil/WR Depth, then Metcalf & Eddy is NOT a must have because the unit operations problems are pretty straight forward. In fact, M&E may lead you down the wrong path because if you are not that familiar with Water/Wastewater treatment problems then it may be TOO MUCH information.

:(

JR

I took WR, and I used M&E more than any other books except the CERM. There were definitions I pulled right out of the book, and at least 5-6 problems that I wouldn't have been able to answer with just the CERM. If you have other water/wastewater resources, then maybe you're ok, but M&E was definitely a must have for me.

I took WR, and I used M&E more than any other books except the CERM. There were definitions I pulled right out of the book, and at least 5-6 problems that I wouldn't have been able to answer with just the CERM. If you have other water/wastewater resources, then maybe you're ok, but M&E was definitely a must have for me.
Frazil,

When did you take the exam? I am trying to track down a copy that I can borrow for the exam. I found that the CERM was lacking some information and am now looking to bring in some additional resources. I have a second edition of M&E that I can borrow. Need to find out if I need an "upgrade" to a more recent edition.

Thanks in advance

owillis

I lent my copy out to someone taking it this time, so I can't look at the edition. But it was my textbook from school -- I think I took the class in 2000 or 2001 -- and I don't think it could have been the latest edition. I took the test last October. What year was your edition published?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back