MERM page 33-3 error in EER formula?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim1981

Reaction score
COP = Coefficient of Performance

ref = for a refrigeration cycle

hp = for a heat pump cycle

Qi = Heat flux in

Qo = Heat flux out

Wi = Work in

COP(ref) = Qi/(Wi)

COP(hp) = (Qi+Wi)/Wi

therefore

COP(ref) = COP(hp)-1

and

COP(hp) = COP(ref)+1

That makes sense: COP(hp) = (Qi+Wi)/Wi = Qi/Wi + Wi/Wi = COP(ref) + 1

EER is the same thing except that the units on the top and bottom are different:

COP = 3.41 X COP

EER(ref) = Qi(btu/h) / Wi(watts)

EER(hp) = [Qi(btu/h)+Wi(btu/h)] / Wi(watts)

similar to COP:

EER(hp) = Qi(btu/h)/Wi(watts) + Wi(btu/h)/Wi(watts) = EER(hp) + Wi(btu/h)/Wi(watts)

Since the numerator work is in btu/h and the denominator work is in watts, the second term is not 1, it is 3.41. However, 33.5 states:

EER(hp) = EER(hp) + 1

Am I losing my mind from studying for this too much, or is this a mistake in the MERM? If I find a mistake in the MERM, will they give me a PE license without having to take the test?

I found the same when I read that part. I firmly believe it is a mistake. Can't believe it's been there for so many editions...

When I took the FE last fall, I thought I found a mistake with a thermo problem in the FERM, so I followed the directions given in the front of the book and emailed PPI. I don't have my MERM in front of me, but I'd be surprised if the same instructions are not in the front introduction of the book.

Long story short, I got an email back from Lindeburg himself. I about fell off my chair seeing that he took the time to respond! He also told me I'd do fine on the FE exam. That may have been the one piece of confidence I needed to pass!

Back