Mechanical-Mechanical systems and materials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dongjun

Reaction score
Hi,

I just registered the "Mechanical-Mechanical systems and materials" and have been studied a month.

As you all felt, the contents to study are too widespread.

I wonder whether I have to study all of related chapters in the MERM.

Any experienced person could let me know WHERE I DON'T NEED TO STUDY? (e.g. ch.47 Engineering Materials, ch.48 Material Properties and Testing)

I will not blame if the information is incorrect because one might have been taken the exam once.

But I will really appreciate he or she who helped me saving the important time.

There are many threads on this forum dedicated to this subject already. I suggest searching the site for exactly what you described above and read through the results. Look at the NCEES subject breakdown for the morning and afternoon sessions and focus your attention on those areas. Identify areas, in that breakdown, where you're weak and focus on those as well.

If you haven't bought the NCEES practice exam and the Six Minute Solution practice book I would strongly suggest you do. Based on my memory of the MERM 12th edition, you don't need to practice anything in the first 13 chapters. I believe chapter 14 is the fluid section (don't have the book in front of me). That is a good starting point. Also, plant engineering and nuclear won't be particularly relevant to you.

Thank you for your sincerely advice. I got self-confidence due to your reply.

Yes, as Ramnares mentioned, you can pretty much skip 1-13. I studied Chapter 1 because it's concepts are omnipresent, but skipped the other 12 and haven't regretted it yet (working practice problems now, after reading all relevant chapters).

In the intro, Lindeburg mentions the other "skippable" chapters...but there aren't many. Nuclear is one that comes to mind.

I broke down each section to figure out the likely "questions per page" ratio, to see where I should focus my attention. For mechanical systems, Chapters 45-60 total about 48 questions... or 0.20 questions per page in the MERM, for example. On the other hand, there will only likely be 6 questions from Chapters 21-37...which is 0.03 questions per page (according to my numbers).

But, if you fail by one question, you'll sure wish you knew fluids well. Considering that, I'm going focusing on Machine Design stuff, but aiming to learn EVERYTHING pretty well...and that's what Lindeburg seems to recommend as well in the MERM intro.

Good luck and study hard.

LP

Back