Matrix Math on the Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMB5mil

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Sorry for so many posts lately, but I've gotten into full study mode and questions keep popping up!

I'm working through Elements of Power System Analysis by Stevenson. I'm in the Network Calculations chapter which applies matrix algebra to solutions of one line diagrams. However, lots of the problems and techniques are laborous and very time consuming. Without an advanced calculator (which isn't allowed on exam day) I'm guessing that many of these problems could not be done in ~6 minutes or less during the exam. Perhaps it shows up but with only a few buses to consider, keeping the number of solutions to solve for down?

Did past exam takers review matrix algebra style solutions to power problems, and did such problems show up on the exam? It appears that matrix techinuqes are applied later on in load flow analysis, but this is the first use of matrix math I've come across in my PE review. From what I can tell EERM doesn't apply it to power problems.

Thanks,

Brian

My experience from studying a and the actual exam is that so long as you can solve problems with up to a 3x3 matrix, you should be fine. Actually, that's probably overkill but that is how I approached the test and I passed. YMMV

I didn't bother studying anything more than a 2x2 matrix for the exam. I just don't think they'd expect you to be able to do the calculations in alotted time.

However, it would be good to study concepts behind the methods themselves because the topic could always come up as a conceptual (non-quantitative) question.

BTW--don't apologize for asking questions. That's what EB is here for. We thrive on questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. Sorry for so many posts lately, but I've gotten into full study mode and questions keep popping up!
I'm working through Elements of Power System Analysis by Stevenson. I'm in the Network Calculations chapter which applies matrix algebra to solutions of one line diagrams. However, lots of the problems and techniques are laborous and very time consuming. Without an advanced calculator (which isn't allowed on exam day) I'm guessing that many of these problems could not be done in ~6 minutes or less during the exam. Perhaps it shows up but with only a few buses to consider, keeping the number of solutions to solve for down?

Did past exam takers review matrix algebra style solutions to power problems, and did such problems show up on the exam? It appears that matrix techinuqes are applied later on in load flow analysis, but this is the first use of matrix math I've come across in my PE review. From what I can tell EERM doesn't apply it to power problems.

Thanks,

Brian
I just made sure I knew how to enter and work with a 4x4 matrix in my calculator. I don't think you'll see more than a 2x2 or maybe 3x3 but I figured if I could enter and manipulate a 4x4 in my calculator quickly then I'd be set. I also printed out the instructions for my calculator with sample problems and put them in a binder. However, I never once had to refer to them.

Back