Magazines' newstands sales fall 9.1%

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...all-91-percent/

Some of the well-known titles with dramatic single-copy declines included W, down 41.7 percent to about 25,000 for an average issue; Newsweek, down 41.3 percent to about 62,000 (Newsweek had decreased the number of copies on sale, noted a spokesman); SmartMoney, down 37 percent to about 26,000; Time, down 34.9 percent to about 90,000; Good Housekeeping, down 30.7 percent to 395,000; and Redbook, down 30.1 percent to 126,000.
As a Newsweek subscriber for a few decades, I can tell you exactly what happened to them. They went from being a very unbiased newsbased magazine to being a very left leaning somewhat news-ish magazine with a bigger emphasis on entertainment than they did before.

My subscription runs out in May and won't be re-upped.

Sadly, I HATE magazines.

They are inundated with advertisements and I don't have time to read most, so they end up going from the mailbox into the recycle. I think just like everything else (including newspapers) they are going to get slowly phased out simply due to cost of printing and online availability.

If you come to my house and sit in the crapper - be expected to become bored. There's no reading material there for you buster.

I have a subscription to Maxim for 3 years because it was free. You're right in that all they have are advertisements. The average Maxim has about 30 pages of content and 50 pages of ads. I even got a magazine a couple of months ago that had an ad for the front cover. The real cover of the magazine was on page 3! I'd also like to note that the average length of the magazine has went from around 200 pages to less than 100.

I used to get Money, but then I saw I could get the articles online for free before the magazine came.

I must be getting old. I have (had) a subscription to Maxim, but I didn't renew it b/c I found I never read the thing. You're right Ble, it's mostly advertisements these days, the content isn't that good anymore, or maybe I am just to old to fund it humorous or interesting.

Sadly, the magazine I read the most these days is business week. It's interesting, a quick read, it's not bloated with advertising and I get an issue every week.

Last edited by a moderator:
there just to much of a pain, I have at least 5 boxes of magazines I need to take to the recycle place.

i think the environmentalist should have congress ban all paper magazines, junk mail, newspapers, etc, etc, etc,

:D

i think the environmentalist should have congress ban all paper magazines, junk mail, newspapers, etc, etc, etc,
:D
Some firm did a study and found it would be cheaper to send all the New York Times subscribers a Kindle or similar device and deliver the paper electronically, than to continue to print the paper. We probably aren't that far from that (<10years).

The only magazines I get that I actually use much are Hemmings Motor News and Trade-A-Plane. The funny part is that the most useful parts of both of them are the ads.

Magazines are in the same boat as the newspaper. I love to waste time with one over lunch, or while on the exercise bike at the gym. But if I need the news, it's not how I get it.

I can't imagine anyone but the big boys making it for much longer in the printed news industry. I know the Boston Herald here is struggling and that's a major big-city paper.

I read the Economist quite frequently and really like it. Not alot of ads and usually pretty interesting articles. I like to get away from the electrons every now and then.

We lost 1 of our 2 local newspapers just last year. The one that survived isn't expected to last much longer either. If I want to read the newspaper, I just go to the website.

I've had Playboy & Maxim subscriptions for several years now, and the fact I haven't received a Maxim in 3 months went completely un-noticed.

The local newspaper is in pretty bad shape. They quit the op/ed pages four days a week, laid of a bunch of writers/editors, and believe it or not, started to make subscribers pay 25 cents extra a week for the TV guide.

Now I just pick up the Sunday paper.

I think their big problem was when they were bought out by McClatchey, they switched to an emphasis on sports. Around here, sports guys get their news from the interwebz and people who read the paper generally don't care for sports. So basically, they lost all their older, loyal susbcribers.

But, I buy a TON of magazines!

I've had a subscription to Golf Magazine for the last 8 years or so. I just thew away a ton of old issues when I moved. The main reason I keep that subscription is that it has automatic billing to a credit card, and I quit forgetting to cancel it.

I had a Maxim subscription for a year while I was in college, and a subscription to some home theater magazine for a year after school. All of my back issues of those rags were tossed in the move too.

I love magazines! However, for some reason, I'm on some list to get free fashion magazines. I started to receive Lucky (crappy fashion magazine) and now I get Vogue (crappy expensive fashion magazine). I get This Old House, but I bought it with frequent flier miles I wasn't using.

my wife somehow ended up with what seems like a lifetime subscription to US Weekly. We've never paid for it, never updated our address (after moving 2 times in the last 3 years), and for some reason it just keeps following us. I told her we're cancelling as soon as they ask for money, simply because IMO celebrity gossip is pure filth.

We had the ESPN magazine start showing up a couple months ago, we never signed up for it. We got the credit card bill this month and there was a charge for it. WE have no clue how they got the charge card to sign us up. Mr. snick called and got his card credited and he is also calling the credit card company to get a new number/card.

Back