Loss at Volkswagen plant upends union's plan for U.S. South

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
(Reuters) - In a stinging defeat that could accelerate the decades-long decline of the United Auto Workers, Volkswagen AG workers voted against union representation at a Chattanooga, Tennessee plant, which had been seen as organized labor's best chance to expand in the U.S. South.

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/15/us-autos-vw-election-idUSBREA1D1DP20140215

The unions are passe. Much of what they fought for is now dictated by the feds. They don't serve much purpose any more.

There is so much win in VW employees using their brains to understand what's best for them. :thumbs:

Unless you have worked for a union or been directly involved with them, it may be unfair to say that they are passe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never worked for a buggy whip manufacturer, but they are passe.

I have seen them at work in the silly service side of the DoD and was wholly unimpressed by what I saw.

I supervised union electricians for a couple of years. I'm not a fan. If it wasn't a requirement to work there, I think over half of the shop would have ditched the IBEW.

vw-oh-snap-o.gif

unions turn good people into poorly behaved people with bad judgement during a strike. (my experience) Usually the lost wages during a strike cancel out anything gained by the negotiation that occurs when coupled with the union dues and seniority BS as it is distributed over the life of the new contract.

Again, my experience in my world...

That said, unions in a third world country would probably be a good thing to boost wages but would likely lead to less work in the long run. (catch 22?)

The only benefit for the extreme dues we pay is we have access to free legal council and they limit the damage the governor can do.

Back