Load Combinations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
In IBC 1605.4 Page 283.

It was mentioned that these two equations are valid for both LRFD and ASD methods.

1.2D+ f1L + Em (eq 16-22)

0.9D + Em (eq 16-23)

I always thought these equations are valid ONLY for LRFD method while the following three equations are valid for ASD method

D+0.70E

D+0.75(0.7)E

0.6D+0.7E

Am I missing something??

Mook,

I just had a discussion about this the other day. The opinion of the engineer I spoke with was

Thats these equations take into the account the likelyhood of the live load actually being present via the f1 factor.....(varies from 0.5 to 1.0)

They make a difference on odd structures.

Typing this for the 2nd time. Hope the network does not crash again....

Hromis1

Last edited by a moderator:
In IBC 1605.4 Page 283. It was mentioned that these two equations are valid for both LRFD and ASD methods.

1.2D+ f1L + Em (eq 16-22)

0.9D + Em (eq 16-23)

I always thought these equations are valid ONLY for LRFD method while the following three equations are valid for ASD method

D+0.70E

D+0.75(0.7)E

0.6D+0.7E

Am I missing something??
I would follow ASCE 7 Section 12.4.3.2 for load combinations with overstrength factor. It seems to me that this was an overlook in IBC 2006. In IBC 2009, these clauses are re-written in section 1605.1.

Hormis

I really did not get what you mean.

bcy

I used to use ASCE equations with either redundancy factor or with over strength factor depending on the case.

Mook, that is ok, some days I do not know what I mean.

To make this clearer..our opinion was that this was a way to "back-door" in a seismic live load reduction for lightly loaded structures (ie the f1 factor in equation 16-22). This only applies to live loads less than 100 psf. (this equation is the additive case = gravity and seismic work in the same direction.)

bcy is correct...I think this equation was only intended to be used with the overstrength analysis.

equation 16-23 appears to be the opposite case. Normally this "subtractive" case would be for uplift on columns.

The equation has you use 0.9D+Em (16-23), I compare it to 0.9D+E/1.4 (16-21). It appears there is a penalty in this case. Penalty may not be the correct phrase. Rather that 1.4 reduction value cannot be used. (Note the equation the x/1.4 value is numerically almost the same as the 0.7E value in equations 16-12 and 16-15 etc).

That was a really good question! Maybe bcy has some more to add.

Back