Licensing Requirement(s)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnowledgeAcquirer

Reaction score
I am venting my frustration and anger here. Although I have 26+ years of engineering experience in the DoD, Aerospace, Satellite Systems, VLSI Design, and Computers, I am not allowed to attempt the PE Exam in the Electrical discipline because I have not worked for a minimum of 4 years under a Licensed PE in the Electrical discipline ---- despite taking the April 2008 FE Exam for the 1st time ever and passing it. I did work under a licensed PE while in college decades ago for a few months as a student engineer (only time that I have ever worked for a licensed PE). Never mind that some of my former supervisors are IEEE Life Fellows --- they are not licensed PEs.

In hindsight, I should never have majored and worked in engineering. In the legal profession, once you've earned our law degree, you are allowed to take your State Board exam to practice as an attorney.

Because of this I will ensure that my son (who is matriculating to the 7th grade and is already taking trig/precalculus) never enter the engineering field.

I tried the approach that I found at engineerboards.com (wrote a letter to my State Board asking for permission to take the PE exam). They came back with a request for verification of supervisors who are licensed PEs in the Electrical discipline.

I do have an MS and MBA and have taken continuing education courses in EECS, Signal processing, and Image processing. I have also taught Hardware Design and Software Engineering courses as an Adjunct Faculty member. Apparently this counts for nothing in the eyes of earning a PE.

Maybe some company in another State or even Canada would be more accommodating and hire me just so I can sit for my PE license in the Electrical discipline.

All of my security clearances/accesses have lapsed since I left the Intelligence and DoD arena. The PE is required for engineer jobs in my state.

I have lost faith ...

I am venting my frustration and anger here. All of my security clearances/accesses have lapsed since I left the Intelligence and DoD arena. The PE is required for engineer jobs in my state.

I have lost faith ...
That's crazy. Did you just move there? In California they have industrial exemptions, meaning that you can be an engineer in various fields without the license. Most of the engineers I worked with in aerospace and semiconductors probably didn't even know what a PE license was. It would be different if this was consistent in every state - then you would know what to do right off the bat. I hope you can find a way around it. Maybe there are good jobs without the exact title "enigneer." THee has got to be some way that people get their qualifying experience in Hawaii. Otherwise, I wouldn't know what I would do, short of moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
What State? This seems absurd, especially when you consider how easy it is for some (e.g. military) to get all the "references" they need. Pick another state if all you need is a license. Oregon was very friendly to me.

But, seriously, because a state board wants to make it hard to license you, you're going to spite the future of the United States (the quiet crisis, don't you know!) by denying us the prowess of your prodigy son?

What State? This seems absurd, especially when you consider how easy it is for some (e.g. military) to get all the "references" they need. Pick another state if all you need is a license. Oregon was very friendly to me.
I thought of this but isn't there a problem in that, even if you pass the test and get licensed in Oregon, if you want comity in Hawaii they may still make you submit the references that they require. Which is the problem to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am venting my frustration and anger here. I have lost faith ...
Your frustration is understandable, KA. I went through some of the same. Depending on what state you are in, you may be able to get the board to work with you. Patience is important. I know it is difficult to deal with the boards, but don't give up.

Feel free to PM me if you want to. Don't give up. I'll be glad to help you figure out how to proceed. What state are you in?

I thought of this but isn't there a problem in that, even if you pass the test and get licensed in Oregon, if you want comity in Hawaii they may still make you submit the references that they require. Which is the problem to begin with.

He wrote "The PE is required for engineer jobs in my state." so I thought maybe so long as he had a license in *any* state he could apply for the job with the agreement to apply for comity after hire - at which point I'd imagine it would be *MUCH* easier to get references.

The NCEES record doesn't require employment references to be PEs - just five personal PE references. be that would help with the comity applications.

I'm pretty sure Canada requires experience under a PE, but I thought most states except work under an engineer -- I know Florida excepts working under a practicing engineer, which saved my rump.

Although I have an MBA and just passed the PE exam, the PE is overated when you're an employee. I pursued the PE for professional gradification, as well as being a business owner in the field.

Although I have an MBA and just passed the PE exam, the PE is overated when you're an employee. I pursued the PE for professional gradification, as well as being a business owner in the field.
Oh NO...

Here we go again.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

You know, it's hard to believe that there is an electronic network of friends/professional associates that means so much to each other and most have never met any of the others. I like it, though.

You know, it's hard to believe that there is an electronic network of friends/professional associates that means so much to each other and most have never met any of the others. I like it, though.
So do I. As a matter of fact I have no real friends. My only ones are here in this Board.

Good night Mary and Jim

(Ah...Jim...Heck of a pic the one from your plane)

What the hell is "gradification"? Did you mean gratification? I assume not, since you have such a highly regarded eduction. I'd assume you are infallible.

Back