Licensed in Multiple Trades? ME, EE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aforni

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone know anyone licensed in multiple trades, e.g. mechanical and electrical? The principal of my firm (in SoCal) is licensed in those two trades. He says the licensing board told him that only four people in California are in that position. Comment if you know someone with multiple licenses, or comment on the usefulness of such a situation. Thanks!

-Adam

PS I graduated with a BSME and just took the EE exam in April '08...we'll see in a few months. I would surely have no chance in anything but the power afternoon session!

Hi, Does anyone know anyone licensed in multiple trades, e.g. mechanical and electrical? The principal of my firm (in SoCal) is licensed in those two trades. He says the licensing board told him that only four people in California are in that position. Comment if you know someone with multiple licenses, or comment on the usefulness of such a situation. Thanks!
-Adam

PS I graduated with a BSME and just took the EE exam in April '08...we'll see in a few months. I would surely have no chance in anything but the power afternoon session!
THere has to be more than four.

I am in California.

A coworker of mine has licenses in Civil, Mechanical, and Metallurgical. He has masters in both Civil and Mechanical.

THere was a fellow who posted here who said he had ME and EE. He was actually a Bioengineering Graduate. And he claimed the EE was easy and he learned it out of one book.

On the flip side, I think you would have to have a pretty varied experinece to get both those licenses. I'm sure a lot of people could pass the exams, but you have to get the experience too.

I knew a guy this time I went to the test, that people around him were like joking with him regarding is he would have like a special accommodation at the test site. I thought because of the many attempts to pass the test, but I was mistaken: It was his fourth one. He is a Chemistry Engineering graduate, and currently has the following PEs: Chemistry, Civil, Mechanical, and now (pretty sure that he passes) Environmental.

Regarding the usefulness, I have no idea.

I do agree with BENBO, regarding the practical experience variety.

Thanks.

RC.

I honestly wouldn't called it being licensed in multiple trades but in Minnesota I'm licensed as a civil and structural engineer.

A few of my co-workers have mechanical engineering degrees and have passed the civil exam as well. I believe that one guy will take the mechanical PE exam sometime soon.

I know Structural is different, but aren't most PE licenses universal? In other words, you pass the test and you are a PE...not a PE EE or a PE ME. If you wanted to stamp other drawings, it is up to you to become proficient enough that you feel ethically comfortable doing so, but you don't need to become re-licensed in that field. Maybe it's different from state to state, or discipline to discipline, but that is how it was explained to me by my father (who is on the Kentucky State Board).

I know Structural is different, but aren't most PE licenses universal? In other words, you pass the test and you are a PE...not a PE EE or a PE ME. If you wanted to stamp other drawings, it is up to you to become proficient enough that you feel ethically comfortable doing so, but you don't need to become re-licensed in that field. Maybe it's different from state to state, or discipline to discipline, but that is how it was explained to me by my father (who is on the Kentucky State Board).
Each state is different. Some license by discipline - so if you pass the EE, you can only stamp electrical drawings. And some states license as PEs - so like your father said, it's up to you to only practice in your specialty. but you better watch out if you pass the Civil PE and you stamp electrical drawings. If something goes wrong and you can't prove you knowledge in electrical, they'll get after you.

^^ In many states you are allowed to practice in the area(s) where you are competent. In Minnesota this is taken to be CE=SE. I'm sure other states also do this as well.

I can't see a EE passer do mechanical stuff though.

It is that way in SC, but I wouldn't feel comfortable as a ME stamping EE drawings.

It is that way in SC, but I wouldn't feel comfortable as a ME stamping EE drawings.
It's like I said though...if you went through some schooling/extensive training and felt very comfortable with what you are doing, and could back up claims that you know what you are doing with proof of your new education and experience, I think that you would be okay to stamp those drawings without getting re-licensed. I don't ever plan on stamping any drawings, so this conversation doesn't really have anything to do with me...just things that I have heard talked about.

It's like I said though...if you went through some schooling/extensive training and felt very comfortable with what you are doing, and could back up claims that you know what you are doing with proof of your new education and experience, I think that you would be okay to stamp those drawings without getting re-licensed. I don't ever plan on stamping any drawings, so this conversation doesn't really have anything to do with me...just things that I have heard talked about.
Yeah, if I had been doing electrical under supervision for four years (remember the requirements for signing up was four years in SC) and felt comfortable with it, I'd feel OK about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back