Letter of Resignation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktulu

Reaction score
I am about to submit my resignation letter. I say that because I am in upper management, so a two week notice, IMO, is inappropriate. I plan on leaving in a month, so now would be a respectful time to let them know my intentions.

What should I include in my letter? This is my first job out of college, I co-oped with this company during school; so all together I have been here ~9 years. They have been extremely good to me, so I don't want to just say, "Been nice knowing you...." because, honestly, alot of work will potentially be coming with me.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

ktulu

Last edited by a moderator:
I am about to submit my resignation letter. I say that because I am in upper management, so a two week notice, IMO, is inappropriate. I plan on leaving in a month, so now would be a respectful time to let them know my intentions.
What should I include in my letter? This is my first job out of college, I co-oped with this company during school; so all together I have been here ~9 years. They have been extremely good to me, so I don't want to just say, "Been nice knowing you...." because, honestly, alot of work will potentially be coming with me.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

ktulu
I was in a similar situation when I left my former company. I had interned with them and developed good professional and personal friendships with my coworkers. It was tough and I wanted to express myself in the letter to let them know how appreciative I was for everything they had done for me. In the end I let my actions speak to that end. I gave 4 weeks notice and helped put out some fires before I left and did everything I could to try and fill the void I was creating.

My resignation letter was very brief and I put the standard text in there. Personally, I would refrain from including too much content in the resignation letter beyond this as your conversations with your managers and the principals within your firm will define your last few weeks rather than a letter which will ultimately get filed away in an HR personnel file.

I put one together at one point.

I basically said "this letter is to inform you of my resignation effective...", and that I had decided to pursue another opportunity and could stay the customary 2 weeks until date X in order to wrap up my projects and ensure a smooth transition. I also thanked them for the personal and professional opportunities while at the firm.

I'd leave out money demands, airing of dirty laundry, reasons for leaving, etc.

that stuff can come out when you have an exit interview with the boss.

A little off the subject, but I thought that you should be aware that, no matter how much they like you now and how great your work and relationships might be, its possible they might let you go immediately rather than let you work out the "notice" period. I've seen it happen to many people who had great relationships with their companies. It just happens.

Ed

A little off the subject, but I thought that you should be aware that, no matter how much they like you now and how great your work and relationships might be, its possible they might let you go immediately rather than let you work out the "notice" period. I've seen it happen to many people who had great relationships with their companies. It just happens.
Ed

I agree, but I would never take it personally. Business is business and they have their interest to protect. I am sure many people take contacts, files, etc when they leave and probably don't think they are doing anything wrong.

I agree, but I would never take it personally. Business is business and they have their interest to protect. I am sure many people take contacts, files, etc when they leave and probably don't think they are doing anything wrong.
On the flip side of that, I am tempted to just leave before a two week vacation (which starts new in November) because my company will be really pissed that I'm leaving in the first place. I sent in a notice before, and they got really pissy because they have a hard time finding good people.

Money isn't an option anymore, the BS is too much to take, so I'm not really interested in inflating my salary to where I'm stuck here. Any tips on how to write a resignation letter to a company that wants you and wants you bad!

Thanks...

I think you just have to keep it simple (KIS)

Dear so and so

My last day will be such and such.

I have appreciated working here and wish you all the best.

Sincerly

Your Name

No matter how you write the letter...which I have done a number of times within the last 6 years.....you will still have to go face to face with your boss to give him the letter....so your words at that time will mean more than the letter because the minute he/she reads "Accept this as my two week notice..." they will stop reading at look you dead in the face and ask the question "WHY....???"

Not liking the boss or work place makes that situation easier as you can just give them some sort of soft shoe dance as they will probably want you out anyways, but if you are really liked and like them it should be easy to talk to them, but remeber that they will feel betrayed as you probably lied at some point to go to the interview of the other company....

Being up front and not burning the bridge is always the best choice even if you have to bite your tongue.

At my wife's employer (a retail store job she took with the intent of using it as a stepping stone to get back into the sales force, her pre-mommy career), the boss came in one day about a month before Christmas and announced that they discovered they had been over-paying her. It was okay though, said the boss, because they had decided as a "Christmas bonus" not to make her pay it back. Also she would be allowed to work extra during Christmas to make up for the lower pay.

She asked me to write a resignation letter for her. Version One had two words, all caps, the first word had four letters and the second word was YOU, with one exclamation point at the end to signify emphasis.

That was not approved for transmittal since she wanted to maintain good relations.

For the second version, I googled up "resignation letters" and came up with a nice one from retired Attorney General John Ashcroft which served as a good framework. "Pleasure to work here", "personal satisfaction in accomplishments", "desire to resign", offer to assist in transition, yada-yada... I suggest leaving off the references to 9/11 as I did though.

Good luck! <-(not the two words used in Version One)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...ft-letter_x.htm

THE FOLLOWING IS MY ROUGH DRAFT. FEEL FREE TO PROOF READ. THANKS:

Dear xxx,

My last date of employment with you will be June 1, 2007. Since our last conversation about my commitment to the company, I've done some hard thinking about my personal goals, and I have come to the conclusion that those goals are best suited elsewhere. I have enjoyed my stay here at xxx and I have appreciated the learning, cooperative efforts, and completion of jobs with my colleagues. Please keep in mind that it was not an easy decision as I believe this is a great place to work with great people and great service.

I wish you and your company the best of success.

Sincerely,

"McEngr" PE

yada yada yada...

THE FOLLOWING IS MY ROUGH DRAFT. FEEL FREE TO PROOF READ. THANKS:
Dear xxx,

put this sentence second

My last date of employment with you will be June 1, 2007. Since our last conversation about my commitment to the company, I've done some hard thinking about my personal career goals, and I have come to the conclusion that those goals are best suited elsewhere. I have enjoyed my stay here at xxx and I have appreciated the learning, cooperative efforts, and completion of jobs with my colleagues. Please keep in mind that it was not an easy decision as I believe this is a great place to work with great people and great service.

I wish you and your company the best of success.

Sincerely,

"McEngr" PE

yada yada yada...
here's my suggestions. don't apologise so much, keep it short.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the others here. Something short and to the point. Mention the date you are leaving. Thank them for employing you and the personal/professional development it has allowed you. Offer to wrap up loose ends and assist with the transition process. Wish everyone well.

I believe this is a great place to work with great people and great service.
McEng: Based on a number of your previous posts, I'd suggest just leaving this statement out.

just my 0.02.

THE FOLLOWING IS MY 2ND ROUGH DRAFT. FEEL FREE TO PROOF READ. THANKS:

Dear xxx,

My last date of employment with you will be June 1, 2007. I've done some hard thinking about my personal career goals, and I have come to the conclusion that those goals are best suited elsewhere. I have enjoyed my stay here at xxx and have appreciated the learning, cooperative efforts, and completion of jobs with my colleagues. I want to thank you for employing me.

I wish you, your colleagues, and your company the best of success.

Sincerely,

"McEngr" PE

yada yada yada...

Thanks everyone for the proof reading...

Okay... so I am going to risk looking like an idiot here by asking this question:

Do you recommend that I hand this to my supervisor in person, or is e-mail acceptable?

I think you need to do it in person. I would spend the day getting my stuff ready in case they boot you instantly and then do it at the end of the day. If nothing else that would cut down on the amount of office gossip generated.

Back