Leaning Column Amplifier

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
In AISC Seismic Design Manual,

I noticed that in Column design, they always multiply the Buckling Coeff Kx with the Leaning Column Amplifier (page 2-22 for example).

Does anybody know how to determine Pleaning and Pstability? Do we have to use this amplifier?? I have never seen this amplifier in any other references.

Thanks

In AISC Seismic Design Manual, I noticed that in Column design, they always multiply the Buckling Coeff Kx with the Leaning Column Amplifier (page 2-22 for example).

Does anybody know how to determine Pleaning and Pstability? Do we have to use this amplifier?? I have never seen this amplifier in any other references.

Thanks

Mook,

Pstability is the total tributary area of the two moment frames (2*25ft/2*(30ft*3+30ft/2)) = 2625 ft2

Pleaning is the total floor area (120ft*75ft = 9000 ft2) - Pstability (2625 ft2) = 6375 ft2

please refer to the flolr plan page 2-25 to help you understand the above calcs.

Hope that helps

Mook,
Pstability is the total tributary area of the two moment frames (2*25ft/2*(30ft*3+30ft/2)) = 2625 ft2

Pleaning is the total floor area (120ft*75ft = 9000 ft2) - Pstability (2625 ft2) = 6375 ft2

please refer to the flolr plan page 2-25 to help you understand the above calcs.

Hope that helps
Thanks a lot wmmw for your help.

Back