Largest Collection Of Rockford Files Cars In The Universe

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
James Garner comes up on this site a fair amount. Some months ago we solved the mystery of the James Garner 4-seat Indy Car, and this past weekend attended the Rockford Gathering, which must be the epicenter of James Garner-related activity.

And there we found the largest collection of Rockford Files cars in the universe.

I'll admit, I had no idea there was a group of people who were so into The Rockford Files (for you tweens and kids out there, the Rockford Files was a clever show about a sort of downtrodden private detective. People watched it on old CRT TVs that looked like wooden furniture.) that they actually meet up every year to eat food, drink beer, and talk about it. Really, there are far worse ways to spend your time.

I was at this sacred global gathering of Rockford File fans for the cars, of course. One of the club's members, Patrick McKinney, has the largest collection of Pontiac Firebirds confirmed to be actual cars from the show. Garner has always been a gearhead, so the car Rockford drove was a pretty big part of the show. Garner even had a signature driving move, a sort of quick from reverse-J-turn that even became known as a "Rockford turn."
http://jalopnik.com/...in-the-universe

Last edited by a moderator:
How can they be the same, the car in the film clip doesn't have a blue hood?

I was anticipating an overall picture of a bunch of Firebirds. They show 3. WTF?

I don't know why but I always hated that color of that car.

Other than it being a Firebird, it seemed to represent all that I hated about that era of cars... Underpowered (a 6.6L with 200 hp?) and with hideous color schemes.

Back