Lap top advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA_PE

engine near
Reaction score
I know this has been asked many times, but I’m looking for a low cost laptop for the household.  Not gaming or anything sophisticated just for general spreadsheets, occasional zoom, hosting music, etc.  would like to keep it <$500.  Windows10 and msoffice 365.

suggestions?

@knight1fox3 if you’re listening can you steer me in the right direction?

thanks

Not sure if you’ve got one close, but we’re spoiled...we’ve got a Microcenter about 20 minutes away. Our last few computers have come from there. They’ve been “off lease” computers so you can get a pretty beefy computer cheap and they’re always like new.

I can’t give any advice on a laptop, but just a note that with the increase in schools going online, I’ve seen a lot of discussions about laptops selling out/being out of stock. If you find one, may not be a good idea to wait to purchase.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure this is the one I got Junior.  She's been using it for home school and has had no issues.  The only thing I don't like is the keyboard offset is a little funky, but you get used to it.  The components are decent, but you either sacrifice build quality/nicer case/housing or components at this price point.  She won't take it out of the house much, so we opted for the bit nicer processor, RAM, and SSD vs. the heavy duty exterior of some other makes.  I splurged the extra couple bucks on the no-questions-asked BJ's extended warranty in case she fries it or something craps out. 

https://www.bjs.com/product/hp-15-dy1078nr-laptop-10th-generation-intel-core-i7-1065g7-processor-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-intel-iris-plus-graphics/3000000000001871747

Latest posts

Back