Landscape Architecture Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the exam to get licensed as a Landscape Architect?

We've got an LA department here at work and one of them is taking the 4th and 5th part of her exam (she just passed the 3rd part). I guess it's a 5 part exam and, from what I've overheard, it sounds like you take the whole thing and then go back and just retake the parts you didn't fail.

Anyway, the other day she was talking about calling in sick the two days before the exam because she hadn't studied at all.

1) Is the LA exam such a joke that one can pass it after studying for two days, or

2) Is she that clueless that she thinks two days is enough studying, or

3) Is she some kind of genius who has chosen to draw bushes rather than pursue her first love of curing cancer.

I'd kind of like to find out in the event that she starts gloating about passing so I know whether or not it is appropriate to ridicule her.

BEGIN PERSONAL RANT ABOUT BUSH PUSHERS

I also need to know how seriously I should start looking for another job if she starts getting all the stuff she claims she is, especially if she passes and it's a BS license.

After I passed the PE, I got a second check at bonus time and that was about it, but I'm a pretty quiet guy, pretty easy-going so I didn't worry about it, didn't complain or whine that it wasn't enough.

According to this LA/bush pusher...albeit through a second source...she is getting an office and a promotion and a raise. Not because she's passed her exam, not because she's gotten any additional education or training, but just because one of the PM's quit. Apparently she just assumes she should automatically move up to the newly vacated PM spot just because it is newly vacated. There're only three people in the department now...one PM, her, and a part-timer (who happens to be my wife and the "second source" and I don't even want to get into what a joy that is). It wouldn't be so bad except that now I've found out she hasn't working here that much longer than me (~3yrs -vs- ~2 yrs) and, it sounds like this is basically her first job out of school.

Whether she passes the last two parts of her exam or not, she thinks she is owed the promotion/raise/office simply because the other PM left. If she gets it, then I'll definitely start looking for something else. However, if she ends up passing and uses that to get it because she's "licensed" now, then I need to know how legitimate their exam is before I start going into someone's office and tell them I'm looking for another job.

I think the general concensus among engineers is that the PE is harder to get and more prestigous than an architecture licence. (Of course, that could be human nature.) I've also heard numerous complaints from my PE friends that architects in general are more concerned with how something looks or what color it is as opposed to whether or not it actually works. (I'm sure there are thousands of competent architects out there that don't meet this description.)

I have never heard of landscape architecture as an official title, but that exam doesn't sound like it's anywhere near as hard to pass as the PE or probably even the FE. (If for none other reason than they let you retake only portions of the exam if you fail them and not the whole exam again.) Just my uninformed opinion of course, but come on, it's just bushes and trees, right? Maybe some grass and shrubs thrown in for good measure.

:watch:

I want to first aplogize to our wonderful female posters here at EB.com for what I am about to write... but I think they key word in your post is "female / she / etc" In my previous jobs ,women who got there PE's or RLA's ALWAYS got their offices, bonuses, etc, before the 'regular joes"

I know its not that way everywhere, but my old job, the Regional Mgr and the Office Manager were both major douchebags who craved the attention of any female, so they got a lot of preferential treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
After I passed the PE, I got a second check at bonus time and that was about it, but I'm a pretty quiet guy, pretty easy-going so I didn't worry about it, didn't complain or whine that it wasn't enough.
There's also a lot of truth to the old adage: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." It might not hurt to be more vocal and aggressive about what you'd like. If you don't complain or ask for more every once in a while, your superiors will likely think you're happy with what you've got.

'.02'

There's also a lot of truth to the old adage:  "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."  It might not hurt to be more vocal and aggressive about what you'd like.  If you don't complain or ask for more every once in a while, your superiors will likely think you're happy with what you've got.
'.02'
Ironically, the bush pusher's husband is an engineer in a company in the same building as us about 100 yards away, i.e. if she bitches and moans and they tell her to pound salt they still have a decent income.

My good-for-(almost)nothing wife works 3 days a week making about half what I do per hour, i.e. if we had to live off her paycheck, we're screwed.

I've actually got an interview on Friday with a company that is much smaller than where I am now (60-something people -vs- 6) but I would be the[\b] engineer. If that goes well then I can have my leverage to bitch a little bit without having to worry about signing up for food stamps.

women who got there PE's or RLA's ALWAYS got their offices, bonuses, etc, before the 'regular joes
I won't even go into glorified secretary, who happens to be best buddies with the HR lady, that has her own office. I made sure to hang up my framed PE certificate as soon as I got it so they could explain to potential clients on the "office tour" why a secretary has her own office while a PE is over in a cubicle.

Up until a year ago I never understood exactly what the LSA's did other than throw a few plants on a plan. Currently I work with a competent LSA and have come to understand what they do.

In Florida LSA's can seal stormwater and grading plans (per our LSA). Keep in mind this is highly unlikely and for the most part all a LSA will ever do is pick plant material and design irrigation systems but more and more states are requiring stamped plans

Now from talking with our LSA the test includes site grading and drainage, irrigation systems or water distribution (which he says he has installed booster pumps and up to a 10" main irrigation main), plant materials and soil determinations. So the test has some of the same subjects as the Civil exam. Even though I would say probably not as hard because you are able re-take portions.

Also Architects have to take 7 or 8 exam portions for a total of around 18 hours or something like that and the structural portion of the arch exam is mix between FE structural and the structural in morning session of the PE. But they take it on a computer and get their results in 3 to 4 weeks.

So now that I have added absolutely nothing to the thread I shall go

:suicide:

Our company bought out the local LA office a couple years ago. Man are they fluffy beyond belief. Their office is like a hippe drum circle.

It really is all about stuff looking pretty rather than something you can actually build. My boss and I have philosophical disagreements with them often.

VT is one of those states that doesn't actually have a LA license. I know a number of people that take the exam out of state to be considered licensed. Then again, if your flowerbed dies it's a little different than your bridge collapsing.

Back