Lack of understanding

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santiagj

Chief Rambo Historian
Reaction score
So I frequently troll another board/blog that is related to the housing bubble. The blog is called "The housing Bubble Blog" if you are interested in additional reading material. Anyways, sometimes there are semi engineering related comments thrown in. I try not to chime in even though it get's my goat. I don't want to seem like a "Guy le Douche". I would not call the audience of the blog engineering or physics inclined. Here is one piece of wisdom that I saw this morning in which I had to comment on. The comment is a response to a poster's desire to buy a 3 story townhouse.

2010-02-12 06:11:45

You would be nuts. Trying to carry your little children up the stairs for bed? Hot bedrooms in the summer? 3-stories is probably a garage mahal, so the fumes from the cars could make their way up to the bedrooms, not to mentions fires go upward, FAST. A geologist friend of mine says that garage mahals are the first thing to fall in an earthquake because there are no supporting walls under the middle of the home. Earthquakes aren’t a problem in Florida, but shifting soil might lead to cracks. (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazes me how little people know about engineering sometimes. A coworker of mine (he's now an SE) was visiting some friends in a high rise condo downtown and they were telling him that the elevators they installed were the new "rubber band" elevators. He asked them what the heck they meant and they said that when it stops at the floors it bounces a little before it stops, just like a rubber band. He didn't say anything cause he didn't want to seem rude, but they evidently didn't realize that whoever designed the elevator support beam didn't check serviceability too much.

I totally agree with you. Engineering, Science and Logical Thinking are not rewarded in our culture anymore. I was really upset when i heard the mission to the moon was cancelled. It was another blow against the scientific community. We are headed towards idiocracy at an alarming rate.

whats a garage mahal?

Funny, Thats actually what I call my detached garage where the Chevelle lives. It's a 2 car garage with an upstairs that has a pool table, big screen tv, foosball table, dart board, fridge full of beer, a toilet.....and it has a Heating and AC system.

Well you can get MBA completely online now in like 8 weeks and a couple of heel taps with ruby red slippers thanks to Devry. As far as a Costco school for lawyers... hmm I would say 28 months.

Welcome to Costco I love you.

whats a garage mahal?

Funny, Thats actually what I call my detached garage where the Chevelle lives. It's a 2 car garage with an upstairs that has a pool table, big screen tv, foosball table, dart board, fridge full of beer, a toilet.....and it has a Heating and AC system.

How the heck were you ever married? I'd never leave my house, never mind interact with the opposite sex!

Back