Kids of EB

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I are hitting the point where we have 2 extracurricular activities at the same time: 8 year old playing soccer/choir/battle of the books at one location and a 5 year old playing soccer on the other side of town.

I don't want to get the 8 year old a phone, but we need (because my wife told me this) to get her some way of communicating that practice ended early or whatever else happens. We currently use Verizon. We are looking at watches and phones, does anyone have any advice/experience.

FWIW, I think a $20 tracfone with a 1 year card (400 minutes) for $100 is the right decision.
Not sure if they still have them, but we had a couple Gizmo Gadgets from Verizon. Watches for kids with cellular. You can set up a list of 10 contacts they are allowed to have and they can send/receive simple texts. Worked great for the kids for "come home", "ready for pickup", etc.

Oldest just got his letter from Live Oaks, the area vocational school, that he has been accepted into the CNC Manufacturing program.

Ex- was always trying to talk up college to him, but he was never a good "school" kid. Very mechanically inclined though so I would try to get my 2 cents in about Live Oaks as an option. Looks like he was listening.

Mr snick is looking at something for minisnick. He found a text/call only (no data) company that uses verizon network for like $8 a month. We just need to get a sim card for an old phone minisnick currently uses like a tablet.
It turns out my wife is going to require a watch like deal. She wants in on her and wants the GPS available on her phone. There goes my reasonably priced tracfone idea.

If you know the name of the one you you mention here please let me know.

Dual activities are fun, and I have a third one... No idea what we will do then other than limited seasons or grandparents.

Didn't get to see the game since it is was a late start and had to stay home with snickette, but Minisnick was a beast at goal again managing to keep the other team from running up the score. Can't wait to see the video mr snick took.

For someone who doesn't like playing goalie he is very good at it this year. But with him at goal the team then doesn't have an offense. Bad luck in the team selection, no real offense, most are mid or defense minded and don't adjust well being put on offense.

Woohoo!!! Minisnick scored his first goal of the season last night during the last play, last 11 secs of the last game of the season. He didn't have to be goalie at all....a first.
Congrats, Minisnick!! I still remember the first (and literally only) time I made a basket when I played basketball for a season as a kid (it was definitely not the sport for this gal and her verticality challenges). I hope Minisnick has many more goals in his future, but remembers this one especially fondly! He should be super proud!

Congrats, Minisnick!! I still remember the first (and literally only) time I made a basket when I played basketball for a season as a kid (it was definitely not the sport for this gal and her verticality challenges). I hope Minisnick has many more goals in his future, but remembers this one especially fondly! He should be super proud!
He played goalie for 90% of the season. He was so close many times he would regularly hit the corner post of the indoor net and bounce back....he was getting a little frustrated with himself. He just didn't play offense enough to make the adjustment from the larger outdoor net to the smaller indoor net.

I can't wait to see how he does in outdoor this fall.

Oh my gosh...I am still cold from last night. Minisnick had his first track meet. He ran the 400 and 800. came in 5th or 6th out of 15 for the 800. Not sure how he placed in the 400 yet since they had two heats, they didn't tally the times last night.

Minisnick had a good track invitational on Saturday. He took 3rd in the 800, took 4th in the 400 (0.2 secs from tying for 3rd), and he subbed on the 4x400 relay which took 1st. His 800 time put him at 16th place across the sectional 6/7th grade teams.

minisnick gets his braces on monday. 24 months of not eating his favorite candies. He is like me, he prefers the gummy sticky things like skittles, licorice, mike&ikes etc...

Yeah, 5 year olds these days:

Mommy: "Stop asking for a drink. You've asked three times. I already told you I'll get it. Just wait! I'm only going to tell you ONE TIME!"

MinnieME: "Ok, sorry mommy." "Mommy?" "WHAT?!" "I love you! I'm only going to tell you one time though."

Minisnick qualified in both his events, 400m and 800m, for the Track Conference Meet tomorrow. Also listed as alternate for the 4x400 relay.

Those results will determine if he goes to the Sectional Meet on Saturday. I'm not sure how they make these decisions, if it based on making a specific time, or the top 2 in the event for each school.

Huh, I went through the stats at lunch. In both minisnick's events, even though he regular places 3rd to 6th at any given meet so far this yr, he is sitting in the #2 spot for our (6&7 grade) team. I knew this about the 800, but it also holds true for the 400.

Minisnick beat both his PRs, but still came in 6th and 7th place at Conference meet with 5 schools. Our team is a split 6/7 heavy on the 6th graders. The team that won conference was basically all 7th graders, super fast at that.

Having said that Minisnick qualified for Sectionals this Saturday...so much for making plans.

the 8th grade boys took 3rd...country/farm boys are FAST.
our two girl teams both won Conference for their age groups.

Back