Kids go crazy over Monopoly

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never hurts to try. Mr snick and I play on occassion, but he plays war strategy games on the coputer so I am not much of an opponent. hence the we play risk not very often. My dads version of the game used roman numeral place pieces...our version has soldiers horses and canons.
I think if you atart yuong enough they will have fun.
Drunk already, snick? Isn't it a little early to hit the eggnog? :p
there is something strange with the home computer and this forum. It is impossible to just cursor over to the area you want to correct. I would have had to delete most of the post because I didn't see the typos until after. so live with it.
Oddly enough, mine does that too. Makes it a pain in the ass even typing replies from home.

Go for it. Risk is a good game. Depending on the ages of the kids, they may also like (as others may have mentioned): Stratego, Axis and Allies (one of my favs), Illuminati, Mile Bournes and others.

Have fun.

I used to love Monopoly as a kid.

Now, so do my kids.

But now I hate it.

See, I've got enough mortgage, housing, bankruptcy, taxes, unpaid water bills, and beauty pageants in my regular life; why would I want to play it in a board game? And lose? To a snarky thirteen year old?

I say give them a stick to play with and send them outside.

Risk just takes SO LONG. We'd play 4-5 hours per night and it would take 2-3 nights to finish.

But keep in mind that one of the yunguns could be eliminated the first night. He will probably be pestering you for entertainment until the next game of Risk starts.

Risk just takes SO LONG. We'd play 4-5 hours per night and it would take 2-3 nights to finish.
But keep in mind that one of the yunguns could be eliminated the first night. He will probably be pestering you for entertainment until the next game of Risk starts.

so does monopoly...at least when we play

I'm an avid boardgame hobbyist with a collection of over 200 boardgames.

I would recommend watching this video for some insight as to some other directions to go. It's 17 minutes of extreme geekery, but can help you with some next choices. (Feel free to skip the silly cartoon intro though.):

If you are interested in some other choices, I'd be glad to help if you like.

You should give your kids Settlers of Catan. For some reason it tends to cause a lot less fighting even though you can screw people over just as bad as in other games.

I used to love Monopoly as a kid.
Now, so do my kids.

But now I hate it.

See, I've got enough mortgage, housing, bankruptcy, taxes, unpaid water bills, and beauty pageants in my regular life; why would I want to play it in a board game? And lose? To a snarky thirteen year old?

I say give them a stick to play with and send them outside.

talk about losing... about 2 years ago I played star wars trivial pursuit against my oldest kid, he was 10, and I.... LOST!

As a die hard gamer, and I mean die hard. Monopoly is nice, Risk and Stratego are fine. Axis and Allies is great. To increase your chances at Monopoly, get in any way you can from the onset, the orange lots. Risk, get Australia. Stratego, just watch your opponents eyes. Axis and Allies, have the Americans put an aircraft carrier in the north atlantic. As far as strategy goes and learning to crunch numbers fast, I recommend Battletech or Warhammer 40K both as board games. Having your kids get into fights, or even adults, the most evil game on the planet is Diplomacy put out by Avalon Hill games. No dice or cards, just plain cut throat. As a great family game I would recommend Settlers of Catan. I attend gaming conventions bringing from a few hundred people to over 13,000. Just my $1.02 (I added inflation for my 2 cents)

As a die hard gamer, and I mean die hard. Monopoly is nice, Risk and Stratego are fine. Axis and Allies is great. To increase your chances at Monopoly, get in any way you can from the onset, the orange lots. Risk, get Australia. Stratego, just watch your opponents eyes. Axis and Allies, have the Americans put an aircraft carrier in the north atlantic. As far as strategy goes and learning to crunch numbers fast, I recommend Battletech or Warhammer 40K both as board games. Having your kids get into fights, or even adults, the most evil game on the planet is Diplomacy put out by Avalon Hill games. No dice or cards, just plain cut throat. As a great family game I would recommend Settlers of Catan. I attend gaming conventions bringing from a few hundred people to over 13,000. Just my $1.02 (I added inflation for my 2 cents)
Do you paint your own Warhammer minis? That was a huge PITA for me. I dont want to have hours of arts and crafts time just to play. I played Settlers of Catan at GenCon a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. I had been playing it at home for a while but the people there were just flat out tricky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you paint your own Warhammer minis? That was a huge PITA for me. I dont want to have hours of arts and crafts time just to play. I played Settlers of Catan at GenCon a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. I had been playing it at home for a while but the people there were just flat out tricky.

I never quite got into Warhammer, so those minis did not come to the forefront. I still do play Battletech and Settlers. The fact that you were at GenCon, I don't need to tell you how many serious games are out there and how Monopoly seems pretty quick of a game. I design and build plenty of terrain though, takes a lot of time. Hopefully I passed the test this time so I can avail more time to fun, lol

I smoke my wife at Trivial Pursuit to the point where she doesn't even play me anymore.

Then again she kept her brain space open to important stuff and got a fancy PhD from an Ivy League school, and I'm basically a buttered penis with a mind for trivia as opposed to engineering.

I have a few friends that are big into complex board games. Settlers of Catan is pretty easy compared to some of the stuff they play. I can't think of most of the names off the top of my head, but the ones that come to mind are Puerto Rico and Dungeon Lords. They also play some simpler, but still fun and a little obscure games, like Ticket to Ride. In fact, Ticket to Ride would be a good family game that probably won't result in feuding.

I know this will probably irritate the board game purists out there, but if you're considering a game like Risk or Axis and Allies, I'd take long hard look at an electronic (computer) version.

You don't have to worry about setting up the board every time you play, the game moves much faster, and best of all no plastic pieces to cut out and eventually lose under your couch!

Speaking of Monopoly have you tried the Monopoly card game? You can purchase the game for under $5 and it makes a great stocking stuffer. We have family game night every Friday and all 3 kids (ages 7, 9 and 14) enjoy this one as much as us parents. Doesn't take as long as the board game too!

Back