KCL

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Platinum

Inspired by the KVL thread........

Do you guys have any tips regarding KCL (nodal analysis)? I typically assign currents leaving a node as (+). Then, currents entering a node are (-).

From KVL i assume current flows from higher potential to lower potential.....i guess this works with KCL as wel?

Inspired by the KVL thread........Do you guys have any tips regarding KCL (nodal analysis)? I typically assign currents leaving a node as (+). Then, currents entering a node are (-).

From KVL i assume current flows from higher potential to lower potential.....i guess this works with KCL as wel?
This is generally the accepted practice - having said that, I did it the opposite way! :appl: It just made more sense to me. But as long as you are consistent, it won't matter.

As is said here, if you are just trying to get nodal voltages, all that matters is consistency. I get real confused with these directions. I always assume current entering a node as positive, current leaving as negative. I once had a filters class with a lot of opamps. They taught me a method that seems to work. Suppose I have a node A and a node B. First, assume there is a resistor R1 between A and B. I will always assume the current into the node (node A) from that branch is (Va-Vb)/R1. Now, assume there is a node C also attached to node A with a resistor R2 between. I will still start with Va and calculate the current into the node as (Va-Vc)/R2. On and on, for 100 nodes it is always Va minus something divided by a resistance (it also works for caps and coils impedance). There is a slight variation for a current source in the branch. If there is a current source arrow pointing in I call it I, away from the node out I call it -I. Then I just add it up, and set to zero. It always works for KCL and is usually a lot easier than some funky loop analysis. Especially with ideal opamp circuits (where you just assume V+ = V-). Hope I confused you enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
As is said here, if you are just trying to get nodal voltages, all that matters is consistency. I get real confused with these directions. I always assume current entering a node as positive, current leaving as negative. I once had a filters class with a lot of opamps. They taught me a method that seems to work. Suppose I have a node A and a node B. First, assume there is a resistor R1 between A and B. I will always assume the current into the node (node A) from that branch is (Va-Vb)/R1. Now, assume there is a node C also attached to node A with a resistor R2 between. I will still start with Va and calculate the current into the node as (Va-Vc)/R2. On and on, for 100 nodes it is always Va minus something divided by a resistance (it also works for caps and coils impedance). There is a slight variation for a current source in the branch. If there is a current source arrow pointing in I call it I, away from the node out I call it -I. Then I just add it up, and set to zero. It always works for KCL and is usually a lot easier than some funky loop analysis. Especially with ideal opamp circuits (where you just assume V+ = V-). Hope I confused you enough.
This is exactly why is don't follow the negative in, positive out convention! Op amp circuits are fairly easily solved in this manner. :Locolaugh:

I use current in +, out -, but it doesn't matter, it shakes out in the math as long as you are consistent...

I think the convention originated from electrons = - charge...they are stationary in most metals, so the 'holes' move 'into' the node...and the electrons 'away', since they are the measurement of charge (1 coulomb ~ 1.66 x 10^18 electron charge), and I=C/sec, then the positive flow of charge is away from the node...

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what you guys are saying. It does make better sense to assume incoming current as (+) and leaving current as (-).

I know it will work out either way as long as I am consistent. I'll try to do the rest of my practice problems this way and hopefully it will all come back to me again.

More questions to come i'm sure!!

With as much coursework in semiconductor theory as I've taken, I always have difficulty imagining current flowing from the + to the - when I'm working DC circuits! Curse those early physicists for getting that 50/50 guess wrong!

Back