Kaplan problem 32 Afternoon exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eng787

Reaction score
does anybody have idea how they come up with answer 2.

[1/(2*PI) Integrl of 2*PI*sinA from limits B to 2*PI = 1+cos A ???? how ????.

can somebody help......

Looks like they excluded the region from pi to 2pi in their integration, but used 2pi as the period.

So it looks like they did 1/(2pi) integral from alpha to pi of the function (2pi) sin theta d-theta

That gives us -cos(pi)-(-cos alpha) which = 1 + cos alpha

Since the thyristor cuts off at pi (zero crossing), I can see why they did it that way. It's a lot like NCEES Sample Exam 115. Imagine Sample Exam 115 but with half wave rectification. That's what it's like. The Kaplan voltage function is V(t) = 2*pi*sin(wt)

Last edited by a moderator:
no, cos pi is (-1), and after the integral it's -(cos(pi)) = - (-1) = +1

does anybody have idea how they come up with answer 2.

[1/(2*PI) Integrl of 2*PI*sinA from limits B to 2*PI = 1+cos A ???? how ????.

can somebody help......

Can you post the problem and solution ? Since I don't have this book thanks

You can also solve this problem by realizing that the maimum conduction and thefore voltage would occur when the diode is conducting for the full half cycle as a half wave rectifier.

For a half wave rectifier the you can realize that the Vave of Vdc voltage is given by Vave=(Vm)(1/pi) where Vm is the peak magnitude of the AC voltage. This is given in books such as Camara's which has tables for the different Vave vales of different rectifiers.

So taking the peak of the AC sine wave to be 2pi as given in the problem we get Vave=(2pi)(1/pi)=2

What table in the Camara book? I don't see anything like that in mine (Power Reference Manual - the new one). I have v8 of the his EERM at home though.

What table in the Camara book? I don't see anything like that in mine (Power Reference Manual - the new one). I have v8 of the his EERM at home though.
I believe I have version 8. Anyway the table that I am referring to in section 27-7 the AC Circuit Fundamentals section. Table 27.2 on page 27-6 gives "Characteristics of Alternating Waveforms" In the table they give ratios for full wave, half wave, square, etc.... waveforms which from the ratios you can calculate the desired Vave value.

In my previous post I stated that this table gave the Vave/Vm ratio as being 1/pi. Similar ratios are given for other waveforms. You can then easily sove for Vave in these cases.

Note however that this only applies to where the voltage is conduting during the full time half cycle. For thyristors which can be turned on any any point and wont necessarily conduct for the full half cycle and you need to either integrate between turn on and turn off time or I believe you can multiply the given equaion in the table times the cos of the angle at which the gate turns on and the device starts conducting.

Back