Job outlook question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isonthejazz

Reaction score
(I used this in the intro and I think that this is the most appropriate forum to post this thread)

Hello fellas!

My name is Brent Richards and I have picked up allot of information that I needed from this forum. I plan to be a supporter. I was looking to go to school for civil engineering here in Missouri. I found that I would prefer to do the more "hands on" approach over the theoretical approach a PE would acquire. So that means a school program in engineering technology. I don't want just an associates and there is a school nearby that offers a bachelors in engineering technology with an civil engineering and design option: http://www.ucmo.edu/...uments/ENGT.pdf

From what I researched though is that a B.A.S. degree in civil tech gives you higher pay and a different title than a technician, applied engineer or technologist is the terms they use I believe. The more "hands on" approach is what I like most about the technician side of engineering. And in some states, I can sit for a p.e. certification after so many years of experience and taking the higher level math, physics and chemistry classes an associate in engineering can provide so I could farther my career options. I would take these courses because it would seem unfair if I got an P.E. certification and I work with engineers who have. It seems smarter for me to go this route over a bachelors in engineering from say Missouri Science and Technology cause I feel that I could come out of school with a B.S.E.T. and be confident I what I am doing and be more well rounded. I would like to get a surveying and building codes certifications as well as be a very good drafter so I can provide these assets to a firm and routinely practice them.I believe that this school will give me that kind of education. I am 36 years old currently and I feel that may also close some doors of opportunity for me so I was thinking that with the applied science degree it may not be as much of an issue when I apply. I am just trying to be realistic about this. I enjoy wearing many hats at a job so the more skills I learn, the better equipped I am to fill a role with many responsibilities. But if an A.A.S. is really all that I would need to get started on the technology side of Civil Engineering, and the rest is kind of a waste, then maybe I should think about that. But my gut keeps telling me that a B.A.S. in engineering tech will make me a bigger asset and land me a good job with more stability and respect. But I do value a working engineer's opinion. I am thinking of the job outlook at this point. Would anyone have any insight about the opportunities a program like this would help me get and would it help me get and keep a job in this economy?

I don't know anything about the program you're considering, I didn't look at the link, and I don't know anything about the job prospects in your area. However, if you are thinking of going to school for 4 years anyway, I would reconsider the engineering degree. Especially if there's a chance that you want to get your PE someday.

In my experience, engineers that work for small or very small consulting companies generally do it all and are quite hands on, which sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

If you're going to spend 4 years in school, I would strongly suggest that you bite the bullet and do a traditional engineering degree. Most of the technicians in my firm are straight CADD techs with some type of associate degrees, with a few who hold bachelor's similar to what you described. Almost all of them do straight drafting with clear directions from the engineers. I've never come across anyone like that who hold a P.E. License.

I'm a P.E. in a large civil engineering firm and I can tell you that the ones involved in the technology side of things all hold either a computer science degree or a traditional civil engineering degree. I've never come across anyone in our firm (or friends I know in other firms) who hold the types of degree you described and managed to do more than just drafting.

It's a tough decision, but my suggestion is to go for a traditional degree.

If you can do the math, then do the BS Engineering. Along the way, if you can pick up an associates, it wouldn't hurt, and you may be able to land an internship, summer or co-op job a little easier. BSET is much more narrow in careers than a BS E.

I'm currently enrolled in a CET program and immediately noticed some differences between my program and the one in your link. So I checked www.abet.org and noticed that that program is not accredited. I also checked ncees.org and see that MO does not accept technology degrees as acceptable to take the FE exam, so that program being accredited would be useless anyways.

In PA the state board does allow graduates of technology programs to sit for the FE exam. I only went the CET route because the other schools in the area are not geared towards non-traditional students. I work full time as a drafter with two associates degrees and dropping out of work to pursue a degree wasn't an option for me. I'll just have to make do with the tech degree and accept that I'll be limited to working in certain states, if I ever decided to leave PA.

If you ever want to take the FE exam and work as a PE in MO, you shouldn't enroll in that program. If your only options are between that program that you posted and an two year degree I think you would be just as well off enrolling in a two year drafting program. But like others have said, if you can, the BSE is the best way to go and will ultimately leave the most doors open for you.

Your gut is wrong. You will get very little respect with a Civil Tech Degree.

Think of it this way, you go to a Doctors office and want to get checked out. In walks a Nurse Practitioner instead of good ol' Dr. Bob. The NP is fully qualified to do the job but in the back of your mind you really wanted to see the Doctor.

Many of us have run in Civil Tech's who are brilliant people. Most of them don't mind telling you how great they are and they usually launch into a discussion about how great their Civil Tech school was compared our Engineering Degree. No one really cares to listen to that garbage and it makes them seem like they always have something to prove (really pathetic to have to prove yourself over and over).

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you want to be respected, you have to be a licensed engineer in the Civil field. If you want to be a Civil Designer or draftsman making 60-80% of a new Engineering grad, go ahead. Nothing wrong with that.

If you want to be hands on, get some education in project management and construction. Join a growing construction firm and don't be afraid to take on responsibility. You can go very far with that.

Also, another blunt statement, but get rid of those damned ear-rings if you really want to be respected. Present yourself as a professional and you will be treated that way.

If you go the BSCE route, I would go to MU vs MST. The MU environment is bit liberal but it has/had better exposure to normal people. Going to MST is a 9 month Sausage Fest of 4.0 high school grads that shatter to pieces when they get their first D (really funny to watch though).

Good Luck.

(I used this in the intro and I think that this is the most appropriate forum to post this thread)

Hello fellas!

My name is Brent Richards and I have picked up allot of information that I needed from this forum. I plan to be a supporter. I was looking to go to school for civil engineering here in Missouri. I found that I would prefer to do the more "hands on" approach over the theoretical approach a PE would acquire. So that means a school program in engineering technology. I don't want just an associates and there is a school nearby that offers a bachelors in engineering technology with an civil engineering and design option: http://www.ucmo.edu/...uments/ENGT.pdf

From what I researched though is that a B.A.S. degree in civil tech gives you higher pay and a different title than a technician, applied engineer or technologist is the terms they use I believe. The more "hands on" approach is what I like most about the technician side of engineering. And in some states, I can sit for a p.e. certification after so many years of experience and taking the higher level math, physics and chemistry classes an associate in engineering can provide so I could farther my career options. I would take these courses because it would seem unfair if I got an P.E. certification and I work with engineers who have. It seems smarter for me to go this route over a bachelors in engineering from say Missouri Science and Technology cause I feel that I could come out of school with a B.S.E.T. and be confident I what I am doing and be more well rounded. I would like to get a surveying and building codes certifications as well as be a very good drafter so I can provide these assets to a firm and routinely practice them.I believe that this school will give me that kind of education. I am 36 years old currently and I feel that may also close some doors of opportunity for me so I was thinking that with the applied science degree it may not be as much of an issue when I apply. I am just trying to be realistic about this. I enjoy wearing many hats at a job so the more skills I learn, the better equipped I am to fill a role with many responsibilities. But if an A.A.S. is really all that I would need to get started on the technology side of Civil Engineering, and the rest is kind of a waste, then maybe I should think about that. But my gut keeps telling me that a B.A.S. in engineering tech will make me a bigger asset and land me a good job with more stability and respect. But I do value a working engineer's opinion. I am thinking of the job outlook at this point. Would anyone have any insight about the opportunities a program like this would help me get and would it help me get and keep a job in this economy?

Back