Its now illegal to not eat all your peas (in Seatlle)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
makes me think a few things

what a bunch of dang hippies

The city may have taken some federal money and meeting that goal was part of the deal, since they didn't- now they have to do something drastic to meet the next milestone of whatever program, if they have already figured out that they have removed the paper, plastic, glass, cardboard, etc and didn't meet their goals, composting items may be the only thing left to remove.

I would be interested in knowing what they had done thus far to get it up as high as they did anyway, even 54% is an amazing statistic

I guarantee you its more about the City Mayor /Council earning some kind of feel good certificate more so than it is about "food waste" or hungry people...

surprised not to see the word sustainable in the article..

The amount of food that is wasted in the US is staggering, and I know I'm just as guilty of it as the next guy. Many of the buffet-style restaurants (especially the all-you-can-eat sushi places) out there employ a similar tactic where they will charge you an additional fee for food you don't eat. They do not allow doggy bags because people intentionally over-order so they have leftovers to cover their next meal, and they want you to eat everything you order.

The amount of food that is wasted in the US is staggering, and I know I'm just as guilty of it as the next guy. Many of the buffet-style restaurants (especially the all-you-can-eat sushi places) out there employ a similar tactic where they will charge you an additional fee for food you don't eat. They do not allow doggy bags because people intentionally over-order so they have leftovers to cover their next meal, and they want you to eat everything you order.
No kidding. Just think of some of those super buffet places in Vegas and the like. I can't even imagine how much food goes to waste on an annual basis.

all you can eat trough buckets buffets really should be outlawed. the number of people helping themselves, the sneezing, germ infested spoons not to mention if during off hours how long the food has been sitting out. we have two in our tiny town.

^ can also lead to over/unhealthy eating.

EDIT: AND 10000 POSTS!!! BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!

:w00t: :eyebrows: :band: :beerchug: :thumbs: :multiplespotting: :th_rockon: :bananalama: :beerbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
So your saying the government should be able to control what we do to our bodies? What about a woman's right to choose ( to be fat)?

I have no idea how that sort of establishment can pass any of the health department inspections. we already regulate them

Speaking of buffets, the buffet in Fairbanks was recently closed for heath violations:

http://www.newsminer.com/business/fairbanks-restaurant-closed-after-facebook-post-leads-to-health-inspection/article_0df57b6a-4389-11e4-a758-0017a43b2370.html

This is the chinese buffet that has been around for years, used to be a chucky cheese (still has their carpet). Has changed names twice while I lived in Fairbanks and proclaims itself to be "Best buffet in city". It's the ONLY buffet...

I'm surprised it wasn't closed sooner.

So your saying the government should be able to control what we do to our bodies? What about a woman's right to choose ( to be fat)?
No, it's the government regulating what gets thrown into the trash. You can buy all the food you want as long as it doesn't end up in the trash can...

I have no idea how that sort of establishment can pass any of the health department inspections. we already regulate them

buffets have their own set of regulations to address your exact concerns and are different than other restaurants for health department inspections

I don't usually do buffets because it's a waste of money for me, but I seen some that go above and beyond the regulations

Comment was in response to the "outlawing of buffets" to make people healthy...

But as long as your paying for trash removal there shouldn't be any limits on what you can put in there... It's not like there are any shortages of places to put landfills (ever drove through Nevada? LOL...

all you can eat trough buckets buffets really should be outlawed. the number of people helping themselves, the sneezing, germ infested spoons not to mention if during off hours how long the food has been sitting out. we have two in our tiny town.
Sounds like immune system building to me.

We're trending toward not allowing compostables in the garbage in CA too. We have a 75% waste reduction goal we're trying to meet.

Unlike Seattle though, I believe this will entail providing residents with either composting bins, or separate disposal containers so the food waste can be disposed of in an anaerobic digester to produce energy.

We're trending toward not allowing compostables in the garbage in CA too. We have a 75% waste reduction goal we're trying to meet.

Unlike Seattle though, I believe this will entail providing residents with either composting bins, or separate disposal containers so the food waste can be disposed of in an anaerobic digester to produce energy.
oh yea...compost bins for food that will all the vector animals to the yard.

Back