It's a great day in South Carolina!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Columbia, SC (WLTX) - Gov. Nikki Haley wants all state employees to have a new greeting when they answer the phone: "It's a great day in South Carolina, how can I help you."
Haley made the suggestion at her cabinet meeting Tuesday.

"It sounds elementary, but I think it's important for the state," Haley said.

Haley told her cabinet to make sure every person used the new greeting, and not just the main line for the agency.

http://www.wltx.com/news/national/article/...-South-Carolina

The comments section is hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once had an employer send a broadcast email with the suggested phone greeting. It was two sentences. I refused to answer the phone with a filibuster.

I once worked a job where I had three phrases to say before the person got to speak: "Company X, This is csb, How may I help you?" You know how many people tried talking right after the Company X part? It was a ridiculously long greeting.

My dad used to work for a real estate firm. On both the general office greeting, and his voicemail, they made it seem like someone was picking up the phone, then after a pause went into the recording. It was frustrating as hell.

It's a great day at XYZ realty...please listen to to our menu as it has recently changed.

Then: Hi this is [agent]...I'm off selling a house right now, but leave a message and I'll get back to you later.

The job I had during college was not a fun one. I had to tell myself "I love my job" every day or else I wouldnt show up...

great day indeed!

nikki-haley.jpg

How about a simple "Good morning/afternoon, how may I help you?" Seems much less forced.

I remember when I worked at Bass Pro Shops I would occasionally have to give the operator a break since I was a customer service lead. You were supposed to answer the call "Thank you for calling Bass Pro Shops, this is ____, how may I direct your call?" Talk about a mouthful.

"Haley is like the cruise director on the Titanic rearranging the deck chairs."

Classic!

How did I miss this? Must call a state office tomorrow to test i fthey have made the change and then question them if they have not.

Back