Is this ADA compliant?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE
Reaction score
img0897ld4.jpg

This is a newly installed handicap ramp that I pass on my way to work. At all the intersections along this portion of my commute they have been adding handicap ramps and crosswalks even though there are no sidewalks in the area, and there is no indication they are going to build any. This was my favorite ramp though. Nice retaining wall, you would have to have a pretty slim wheelchair to get past it. :)

Minimum clear width on a sidewalk is 3'. So you may be OK - hard to tell from pic. But those ramp ups look way steep than the 1:12 max slope.
No way there is 3' clearance on the left side of that ramp. There may not even be 3 inches from back of curb. I'm almost certain there isn't 3' on the right side either, but I can't be sure. It's tough to get a good measurement from 36' away while driving past at 45mph. :)

I'm sure the instructor of my company's mandated defensive driving course would love to know I'm taking pictures out the window of my vehicle (which is a stick shift for added difficulty) while driving. :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it probably is ADA compliant which is why it was installed in the first place. Usefulness is not a requirement but access past the curb at a crosswalk is.

Looks like a classic case of "letter of the law" compliance to me. Pretty sad where society is going.

It looks like there's a footpath going up the hill...just taunting people in a wheelchair.

This picture needs a caption!

Probably the same person who designed this....

\\that pic reminds me off half of our job sites right now, the roads are finished but we cant get the GD utility companies to move there damn poles out of the row!

I dream of one day being the chairman and issuing the "cut them down" order :(

Back