Is cheerleading a sport?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is cheeleading a sport?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
The definition of sport is dynamic, and changes with the ages.

This used to be a sport:

joust.jpg

But is this?:

tumblr_lmykxmxsRd1qjtp00o1_400.gif

And some think crammin hotdogs is even a sport:

kobayoshi.jpg

Jousting = sport

hot dog eating = gross

Last edited by a moderator:
It is NOT a sport.

Too many are confusing athleticism with sport. Don't confuse it.

Badal hit the nail on the head above.

I have competed in a "COMPETITION" that requires WAY more than any sport known to man. Bodybuilding. The reason it requires more, is because of the insane amount of training, dieting, sleep, etc. etc. NO sport out there doesn't allow the athlete to at least have a slice of pizza once a week or so, but not bodybuilding. Bodybuilding requires hours of training a day, very physical training. Tons of cardio, sore muscles, you name it. But guess what, IT'S NOT A SPORT. just because everyone in it is an extreme athlete, it is still NOT A SPORT. it's a competition.

Cheerleading is also NOT A SPORT. But a subjective competition.

If it is subjective (has a panel of judges) = competition

If winner can be defined without subjectivity = sport

so yes, hot dog eating is a sport and cheerleading isn't.

It shouldn't diminish how hard the girls train, etc. because they put in alot of work. But just can confuse athleticism and sport.

If you can compete within a defined set of rules, and determine a winner and a loser, than = sport

(and I'm sure someone will bring up a "referee missed a call" so it's subjective argument)

I'm glad to see that tic-tac-toe is a sport as is chess, checkers, and a whole host of other board games.

They are sports of the mind.

And I'm also glad to see poker is also a sport, especially since I can win there...

So somebody can claim sport participation by cheering people who are participating in a sport?

By that logic, I should have just encouraged a PE and then claimed to be a PE myself.

Cheerleading is not a sport at Tex Jr.'s high school. It's a club. Last year, a girl fell during practice and hit her head, and the athletic trainers were not allowed to assist her in any way other than to give her a place to wait while her parents got there...

The reason why it's not a "sport" is becuase of liability issues for the schools. It has nothing to do with how hard they train or competitions that they attend.

I know the trainers, and I'm certain that if there was a life-threatening injury, they would say screw the policy, but I still think it stinks...

It is NOT a sport.

Too many are confusing athleticism with sport. Don't confuse it.

Badal hit the nail on the head above.

I have competed in a "COMPETITION" that requires WAY more than any sport known to man. Bodybuilding. The reason it requires more, is because of the insane amount of training, dieting, sleep, etc. etc. NO sport out there doesn't allow the athlete to at least have a slice of pizza once a week or so, but not bodybuilding. Bodybuilding requires hours of training a day, very physical training. Tons of cardio, sore muscles, you name it. But guess what, IT'S NOT A SPORT. just because everyone in it is an extreme athlete, it is still NOT A SPORT. it's a competition.

Cheerleading is also NOT A SPORT. But a subjective competition.

If it is subjective (has a panel of judges) = competition

If winner can be defined without subjectivity = sport

so yes, hot dog eating is a sport and cheerleading isn't.

It shouldn't diminish how hard the girls train, etc. because they put in alot of work. But just can confuse athleticism and sport.

If you can compete within a defined set of rules, and determine a winner and a loser, than = sport

(and I'm sure someone will bring up a "referee missed a call" so it's subjective argument)
...just to let you all know, in regards to cheerleading, yes there is a defined set of rules for "competitions", the stuff you see at football and basketball games is for show, but the practices are not for this, and cheering at games requires very little skill or physical strength and you need to know DVINNY is correct in calling cheerleaders athletes, however while they learn to smile and get a crowd riled up at a different sporting event, they are training to balance a tumbling, dance, stunt and cheer routine combination that often requires them to bend, flex, lift and jump more than any other sport (except maybe crossfit)... for a specified amount of time, during which specific times need to be devoted to each portion, and it needs to be coordinated and complicated, timed perfect, and push the edge of the level at which they are competing... and remain within the specified acceptable rules of each section (ie, different age groups are only allowed to preform specific tumbling and stunts) ... all while they smile and wink and look pretty and fit into tiny little uniforms where their bloomers show (and that is mostly because of the stigma that modern day cheerleading has given them).

The one thing I love more than cheerleading is crossfit, because I don't have to smile and wink, look pretty or wear bloomers, and my knee socks are for the purpose of not killing my shins during box jumps... but you know what... cheerleaders would probably survive a crossfit class better than most any other sport that I know of... because it does require a combination of cardio, flexability and weight training...

and yes, I can still do my jumps with perfect pointed toes and a smile on my face... every now and then I do, just to make sure :)

Back