Is cheerleading a sport?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is cheeleading a sport?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I disagree, and here's my logic: I don't think there are very many people who are fans of un-athletic cheerleaders...

while it may not be your typical sport it is still a sport in school setting. The kids have to get a physical and all that other nonsense paperwork to participate. The school charges a fee to participate. There are tryouts and uniforms and in some cases meets to compete against other schools. These meets charge money to see kids play. so it meets the definition of sport in the school setting.

outside of the school setting...nope.

While cheerleading is competitive, athletic and fun to watch, it's not really a sport any more than the school dance team, marching band or the strippers down the street are...

Last edited by a moderator:
While cheerleading is competitive, athletic and fun to watch, it's not really a sport any more than the school dance team, marching band or the strippers down the street are...

Or gymnastics.

Or fishing.

Not sports.

So what's your definition of a sport, Cap't? It has to have a ball or puck? There is a score based on some sort of goal? How about speed skating, or any other type of race--running, bicycling?

Is curling a sport? How about beer pong?

If gymnastics isn't a sport, then why is it in the Olympics?

Competitive shooting? If not, then how about combining it with skiing, a la biathlon?

So what's your definition of a sport, Cap't? It has to have a ball or puck? There is a score based on some sort of goal? How about speed skating, or any other type of race--running, bicycling?

Competitive shooting? If not, then how about combining it with skiing, a la biathlon?

It has to be something where you have a score you get by doing something (not an assigned a score by judges), or finish in a relative position to someone in competiton (ie 1st, 2nd, 3rd) based on speed.

No, speed skating, running, and bicycling, yes.

Figure skating, no.

Shooting, yes.

As for why gymnastics is in the Olympics..beats me..maybe because it gets ratings.

Colleges that were smart would eliminate girls B-Ball and start Gymnastics competitions.

It has to be something where you have a score you get by doing something (not an assigned a score by judges), or finish in a relative position to someone in competiton (ie 1st, 2nd, 3rd) based on speed.

Colleges that were smart would eliminate girls B-Ball and start Gymnastics competitions.
But your definition specifically eliminates gymnastics as a sport because it's scores are assigned by a judge...

But your definition specifically eliminates gymnastics as a sport because it's scores are assigned by a judge...

Gymnastics isn't a sport. But colleges should have it because it would boost revenue compared to girls B-ball. Less expensive, to boot.

WE had both gynastics and girls bball...girls bball definitely brought in more money than the gymnastics. We were regular attendees of both mens and womens gymnastic and it was mostly just friends and family of the athletes.

what about

shooting?

trebuchet-ing?

cheerleading -> no sport.

As said above there are enough dance/talent competitions

IMO, cheerleading was invented to get the fans riled up. So this guy's an athlete?

x8wNj.gif

I have participated in many sports: Soccer, rowing, baseball, basketball, etc. Cheerleading as a feat of physical strength, balance, and tumbling ability is as athletic and skilled an activity as many of them. Many squads participate in judged competitive events.

In my opinion, cheerleading is a sport, an athletic endeavour requiring skill and physical training to compete against other individuals or teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ So competitive dancing (ie dancing w the stars) is a sport, it fits all of your criteria...I totally agree that cheerleading is probably wayy more physically demanding than a lot of the sports they cheer for, but I don't see it as a sport just because they have a competition. My 2 cents

It's not a sport. It's a competition. A competition is when you are assigned points instead of earning/scoring them.

Not necessarily the ones that are on the side of the Field / Court but if you go to their tournaments, you will see ones that have mastered more than basic gymnastics and probably have a greater core strength than most posting in this thread.. probably not a sport , but the latter that I mentioned I wouldnt discount,, but I would say its more of a sport than Golf and day of the fucking week...

Back