iOS 7.0 - not impressed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1380263_650608191671923_1600630597_n.jpg

I did a factory reboot last night and it looks like that fixed my issues so far. I turned off the auto app update and I think that helped the battery draining issue.

Well now there is a IOS 7.02 that I keep getting reminders to uppgrayed (two PP for a double dose of pimping)

What sucks is that eventually none of the apps will let you update or download after a while until you have this shitty colorful version

And now the calendars are randomly changing colors by themselves. Forums are no help on the issue and Apple's playing dumb...

Well, I stopped by a verizon wireless store yesterday to have a conversation with a man about a phone. Bottom line is that Apple and AT&T have decidedly driven my business away. Ever since this stupid upgrade to IOS 7, my phone and my wife's phones have not been working well.

I can't connect to wifi, period, and my power button hasn't been working for some time. My wife is having her own set of issues as well. We bought these phones and got the 2 year contract in Oct 2012, so about 7 months to go before the contract is up. But I don't think we can wait that long. Since I can't connect to wifi, I'm pushing the data limit on my phone, which of course costs money in overages. The solution is to get a more expensive plan... Or maybe see about an early upgrade.

Well, so I talk to AT&T and discover that I need to pay $200 per phone for an early upgrade fee on top of the cost of the device. So we each had a 4S, and to basically get another 4S would be $400. Obviously if the technology is having faults I want to get something that is compatible with the more recent IOS. So, maybe a 5? Nope, they don't even sell those anymore because they were so glitchy. It would have to be a 5C or 5S.

So, now we're talking $800 to get a new phone and another shitty 2 yr contract with AT&T, where I won't have any early upgrade options again except to pay an ridiculous couple hundred dollar fee.

So, my next question to the AT&T rep was how much to cancel my contract. $185 per phone to be free and clear of this contract. The engineer in me was able to solve that math. Pay $30 less to upgrade to both a new phone AND a new carrier....

So anyway. I think I'm done with iPhones, if I think I am going to have to upgrade early every time, which is what I'm now worried about, then fuck them, I'll go get a samsung, that doesn't force me to install new operating systems all the damn time and render my phone useless.

So, apparently the Samsung S3 mini is on a buy one get one free promotional at the Verizon store and they buy back old iPhones for $200 per phone. Plus there is a $100 mail in rebate for the mini and it only costs $50 with a two year contract.

So, theoretically for me to go over to Verizon (which everybody else around here has and they never lose reception) get new (working) phones for my wife and I, and get rid of our extra crappy devices, I will end up getting paid $80. I will walk out of the store $80 richer.

So, my question is... Is the Samsung S3 mini worth it? Honestly, I have zero desire to walk around with a phone as big as the normal Samsung Galaxy. That screen is insane, so the S3 size is far more too my liking anyway, but is it a good purchase? Or will I be pissed off about it in a year like I am with the iPhone?

How much do you use apps, and which ones are your most commonly used? Pretty much the only difference between iOS and Android is availability and compatibility of apps.

Have you tried bitching to AT&T on the phone ? The pieces of shit that work in the stores have zero sympathy but you can usually get something worked out if you call and bitch over the phone(sometimes).

Ever since the iOS update, I pretty much have to use the speaker phone exclusively. Any time I put the phone up to my head, it will put the caller on hold or on mute. My most commonly used app (Facebook) crashes and refreshes constantly. I think I'm up for a new phone in April or May, and I'll be making the move to a Samsung. Other than the fact that the phone is sturdy hardware-wise, I hate practically everything about the iPhone.

My father and nephew also have iPads, and neither of them can connect to wireless with any sort of stability since the last update, which appears to be a VERY widespread problem. Since neither of them have data plans, they both have essentially $600+ paperweights.

My father and nephew also have iPads, and neither of them can connect to wireless with any sort of stability since the last update, which appears to be a VERY widespread problem. Since neither of them have data plans, they both have essentially $600+ paperweights.

You think this may be a problem with too many wifi hotspots? My sister and her kids all have iPads and there is zero problem with them, but they're really only used in a small town or at Mom and Dad's out in the sticks. So there is only one wifi connection to choose from.

You think this may be a problem with too many wifi hotspots? My sister and her kids all have iPads and there is zero problem with them, but they're really only used in a small town or at Mom and Dad's out in the sticks. So there is only one wifi connection to choose from.

Only wireless they pick up at his house is their in-home router, and a weak signal from one neighbor. They'll connect, and it will drop moments later. Happened with multiple routers. My father's pretty computer savvy and has tried all the "fixes" to no avail.

for what its worth we have 2 iphones and an ipad that connect no problem to our wifi at home and work after the updates. They have been OK phones so far but we do have Verizon for coverage. I didn't even want it she got it for me as a present because "you need a smart phone because everyone has one except for you and your phone is 4 years old".

I have very few complaints about my 5. The wifes 4 is pretty slow compared to mine, but those two and the ipad work like there supposed to for the most part. AT&T for the record.

Does no one listen to any of my Apple rants? :huh:

So anyway. I think I'm done with iPhones, if I think I am going to have to upgrade early every time, which is what I'm now worried about, then fuck them, I'll go get a samsung, that doesn't force me to install new operating systems all the damn time and render my phone useless.

So, my question is... Is the Samsung S3 mini worth it? Honestly, I have zero desire to walk around with a phone as big as the normal Samsung Galaxy. That screen is insane, so the S3 size is far more too my liking anyway, but is it a good purchase? Or will I be pissed off about it in a year like I am with the iPhone?
AT&T is awful IMHO both in cell coverage and customer service. Yes a Samsung would be a substantial upgrade for you. The S3 is old though. They might be making a newer version of that soon. Have you looked at the Google Nexus 5 or HTC One? For me, the S4 is killer. And the screen isn't THAT big. I often times think it's not even in my pocket and have to check for it (so light).

Only wireless they pick up at his house is their in-home router, and a weak signal from one neighbor. They'll connect, and it will drop moments later. Happened with multiple routers. My father's pretty computer savvy and has tried all the "fixes" to no avail.
Keep in mind that on the 2.4GHz band, wi-fi is VERY susceptible to interference from other devices. This can also be exacerbated by how far away the wi-fi router is. A signal booster or repeater can go along way to improve signal stability.

2.jpg

Does no one listen to any of my Apple rants? :huh:

AT&T is awful IMHO both in cell coverage and customer service. Yes a Samsung would be a substantial upgrade for you. The S3 is old though. They might be making a newer version of that soon. Have you looked at the Google Nexus 5 or HTC One? For me, the S4 is killer. And the screen isn't THAT big. I often times think it's not even in my pocket and have to check for it (so light).

Keep in mind that on the 2.4GHz band, wi-fi is VERY susceptible to interference from other devices. This can also be exacerbated by how far away the wi-fi router is. A signal booster or repeater can go along way to improve signal stability.

2.jpg
2,4 GHz? I think most remote control cars I've had use that freq.

Back