interview questions I hate..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also all this interviewing is getting old, i have run out of excuses to tell my work where I am. today I told them I was marketing with a client(the same people I interviewed with) technically I guess that not lying..
You too? I spend more time interviewing than going on vacation these days! :(

RG,

Glad to see you're out there looking around. Maybe I missed it, but what's the deal with the current job? Burned out with it? Will they not step up to the plate salary-wise? Just curious.

Are you really in the >$100K range? That is awesome if so. Is it the management and the masters degree that make the difference to get you to that salary range? 'Cause I can tell you, I'm pretty far from $100K, working in a quasi state job.

Keep us posted!

Ed

mainly we are just s l o w, it wasnt our fault, but we had one of our $10M projects pulled from us temporarily (5 years probably) and due to that they want me to wait until mid year to get more $$. They want to put "truck only toll" lanes on a section of interstate that feeds into the project we were working on, and when the DOT approved that proejct they said they had to "do a study" of our project and see if it needed truck only toll lanes. basically we sort of got hosed.

But I have just come to be sort of unhappy, this job was sort of a bait and switch, and I have been feeling more and more like I made a mistake by leaving my old job.

I dont really want to go to another consultant, I think one of these director type jobs in local government could be pretty challenging.

But to answer the question I have been discussing salaries (even with the local govt) in the 100 range. pretty messed up that little test increased my old discussions which ususally maxed out around $85..

and not one company has even asked me anything about the MBA, they do like the military enlisted & officer experience, but they dont seem to give a shit about the MBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best question I ever heard from from a former co-worker [industrial Engineer], who said he had an interview and one of the questions was [and I am not making this up], "If you could be a piece of women's clothing, what would you be?"

I'd pipe up and say, "A tampon, so I could be white and surrounded by p*ssy"", at which point I'm sure I'd be asked to leave the room...although I would lose the argument that a tampon, per se, constituted clothing, but what the heck!?

The best question I ever heard from from a former co-worker [industrial Engineer], who said he had an interview and one of the questions was [and I am not making this up], "If you could be a piece of women's clothing, what would you be?"
I'd pipe up and say, "A tampon, so I could be white and surrounded by p*ssy"", at which point I'm sure I'd be asked to leave the room...although I would lose the argument that a tampon, per se, constituted clothing, but what the heck!?
The toughest question I've been asked is: "Why should we choose you over a guy with equal or more experience?"

"Cause I'm much funnier than he is, and all other things being equal, who wants to work with a fuddy dud?"

I actually just had an interview yesterday for City Engineer for one of the little cities in the 'burbs of Cincinnati.

One of the questions was a long description about a project that's been designed, contractor's all lined up, but now there are three property owners who won't sign off on temporary easements. What would I do in this situation?

So, I launched into my spiel (take that tmac, spell checked it and everything) about how I'd go talk to the homeowners because a lot of times they don't realize what a temporary easement is, they might feel better about it if it's their City Engineer describing it instead of the big, bad contractor, if that doesn't work then....blah, blah, blah....you get the idea.

At the end of the interview I found out that this was an actual project. The guy actually told me "they've been waiting for a good answer to that question so they could steal it and get construction started".

Hmmm, does that mean they liked my answer or not?

Nice going! :beerchug:

I worked for the "town engineer" at my old job. We were a private firm that consulted to the town, but same idea. When there was an issue with a homeowner, the project manager and someone on the town board or DPW commissioner would meet the owner and go over it with them. They were generally more receptive that way.

Especially, when the realized it was just for temporary contractor access to build something that wouldn't permanently impact their property, or might even benefit them.

I would answer with a question, Why were all the right-of-ways not signed prior to bidding?
and guess who wouldn't get the job smart guy! :beerchug:

Remember what your mother told you, if you can't say something nice then...

MA_PE, I've been messing up on that one for a long time now. You'd think I'd learn. :party-smiley-048:
I think you need a good spanking!! where's the dominatrix/spanking smiley?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back