interview questions I hate..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I have been studying up on some interview questions for some jobs that are sort of out of my field (which is scum sucking consulting)

the one I keep finding is:

"Describe your ideal job ?"

Now thats a terrible question, because my ideal job would be something like, Salma Hayek's man whore, or something similar..Angelina Jolie, that chick from Into the blue, etc (I mean I am very strict on the "scope" of that work, but flexible to the terms (within reason).

RG --

IMHO, just be yourself. Seriously. Your credentials speak for themselves - you can add emphasis where needed, but let's be real you have a degree, a skill set, experience, and .. oh yeah .. a license :) . If you have made it this far through the HR washout trail then they are judging you mostly on your character and ability to present yourself.

To give you a little compare/contrast - I can be somewhat abrasive in my approach to things (I am sure that shocks you). However, I am looked upon favorable by my management because I have a 'Can Do' attitude - I get the job done. I don't whine, piss, or moan about inequities - I just get it done.

So, in really short summary, if you present that side - they will most likely find you to be a very desirable candidate. Otherwise, you probably didn't have a snowballs chance in hell to begin with. :2cents:

JR

Now thats a terrible question, because my ideal job would be something like, Salma Hayek's man whore, or something similar..Angelina Jolie, that chick from Into the blue, etc (I mean I am very strict on the "scope" of that work, but flexible to the terms (within reason).

I think you should just come out and say that. Especially if it's a woman interviewing you. People like honesty. Don't forget to nod and wink. :2cents:

how about when they ask your salary? if you tell them too low, they lowball, too high they balk...

I hate this one: "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

I want to reply: "Hopefully breathing, preferably above ground."

My company likes to ask the question: "Name three ways to find a needle in a haystack" to prospective interns.

You wouldn't think it would be that tough, but one "prospective" intern somehow got off on a tangent about how he used to work at Target. Let me just say it was an intresting interview. :2cents:

SuparA, them asking about ideal salary is like asking about the ideal job. Let em have it.

If they say "Do you have a salary requirement?", you say "Yes, I require small bills, but lots of them"

I think you should just come out and say that. Especially if it's a woman interviewing you. People like honesty. Don't forget to nod and wink. ;)
\

frazil, are you sure that you and I didnt work together? Your post remind me of a former female colleague of mine (also a pretty good friend)

;) That would be fun. Maybe we should just round up everyone here and start a company.

Also you should use the term "man whore" at least once during the interview! Good luck, RG!!

Not a bad plan, using my crystal ball, I have a picture of DV's office 6 months after the office opens.

messy%20office.jpg

i interviewed with another consulting firm today, the HH has called me no less than 8 times since the interview, I really want the county job, but this one would be a nice conselation (sp?) prize, but just for kicks I am not calling the HH back.

you know theres nothing like a HH seeing themselves getting 20% of my salary and being frustrated that they cant call me to find out "how it went" knowning damn well they alreay talked to the company and that they "love me" :wub: not Tmckeon $140,000 / year love, but "close" ;)

I like to ask the question "how do you feel about washing my Labradors twice a week?" just to see what they say.

While interviewing for a job right out of college, the interviewer told me the company had trouble keeping good people. Thankfully, the company I interned with offered me a job, so that was the end of interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, anytime I'm at an interview and hear about a high turnover rate or trouble filling openings it raises a red flag.

On the other hand, if everyone has been there 5+ years, that's a promising sign.

"What's your biggest weakness?" is the worst I've been asked.

SapperPE said:
Do you think you are aggressive enough to handle sub-contractors?
My answer: Sir, I have two Soldiers in prison, three who have assault and battery charges pending, and two who I am kicking out of the Army for incompetence. I command a combat arms company filled with a bunch of hooligans who like to blow shit up, yeah, buddy, I think I can be aggressive enough.
Wow Sapper, that made my morning!!! :(

well I had the county job interview today, pretty laid back, no real hard ball questions. but I have to meet again with someone higher up the food chain (county manager)

They just did about a 3 hour tour of the "Sign shop", "maint barn" all that fun stuff. weird how everyone whose boss I would be is at least 15 -20 years older than me( most of them are retired State DOT). I hope it works out, the county dot office is about 3 miles from my house, that would be most excellent. Plus this job would be pretty challenging it seams.

I was expecting some hardball questions , but maybe they save those for "round 2" ?

also all this interviewing is getting old, i have run out of excuses to tell my work where I am. today I told them I was marketing with a client(the same people I interviewed with) technically I guess that not lying..

Back