IL spends $3 million

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Fish and Wildlife workers combing the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal for victims of the largest deliberate fish kill in Illinois history found a lone Asian Carp among tens of thousands of poisoned fish.
<snip>

Though some might question a three-day, $3 million fish kill if few Asian carp are found, biologists know the fewer carp discovered, the better the long-term health of the popular shipping canal. The lone carp was 22 inches long and was found near the Lockport Dam, nearly six miles from the electronic barriers.
http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-asian-carp...0,2857183.story

i saw that on the news last weekend and they showed hundred of these carp jumping out of the water?

it just never seems to be a good idea to bring one animal from another country to a new place.. they said they brought the carp in to eat algea? somehow there had to have been a cheaper idea to combat algea blooms back then

oh wait was that a test question? How many asian carp does it take to ward off an algea incident in a lake?

Crews returned to the canal by 4 a.m. Thursday to begin collecting the scores of dead fish that began floating to the surface. They scooped them from the water with nets and piled them along the canal for inspection. The fish will eventually be deposited at an area landfill.
That landfill is going to stink more than usual once they are done.

The media here is having a field day with this. I haven't paid much attention to it but it seems like the cure may be more detrimental than the problem they were trying to solve in the first place.

The media here is having a field day with this. I haven't paid much attention to it but it seems like the cure may be more detrimental than the problem they were trying to solve in the first place.
Here too. they even had charter boat captains commenting on this 'unprecedented fish kill' - makes for amusing news clips.

But hey! - keep those ugly bastards out of Lake Mich! Whatever poison ya got, if it ain't workin' up the dose & crank up that electric current too!

Yeah, we like our trout and salmon so please keep the crazy carp over there.

It's a river in Chicago - who would have noticed a few million extra gallons of poison if there hadn't been a press release?

... seems like the cure may be more detrimental than the problem they were trying to solve in the first place.
"Verschlimmbesserung".

There should be a word in English for this, but there's isn't, so I learned this one German word and use it as often as I can hoping it will catch on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catfish farmers in Arkansas brought them in to clear out the catfish crap in their ponds. The Mississippi River flooded and they got out, next thing you know....

When I was doing the hydrographic survey thing we would get into them once in a while. Our survey boat has an enclosed cabin but it is still a shock when a 20 pound fish whacks the window next to your head.

bump

Mich sues IL - now you're gonna pay! :eek:ldman:

The reversal of the Chicago River a century ago, to send the city's sewage to the Mississippi River instead of into Lake Michigan, was hailed as an engineering marvel. Now Michigan is suing Illinois to potentially re-reverse the river to prevent the movement of voracious, invasive Asian carp into the lake.
The suit, which is going to the Supreme Court, also challenges Chicago's controversial withdrawal of up to 2 billion gallons of water a day from Lake Michigan.
anyone know how reversing the river again would prevent the carp from going into Lake Mi(?)

full story at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34599634/ns/us...washington_post

Can "excess" TARP fund money be used for CARP fund?

thats like the Ga, Alabama, Florida water wars, the courts said its illegal for people to take drining water out of the lake since it wasnt mentioned as reasoning for building the dam :blink: , also Alabama, and Florida have been going to courts saying not enough water is released from the dam, then after the recent flooding that the corps let to much water out...

Back