If you won the lottery...what would you do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
I need to remember to sto[ by the gas station and buy a powerball ticket tonight. I know the odds are against me, but why the hell not. Even a smaller prize would be awesome too.

If we were to ever win, other than the obvious things like setting up college fund, awesome vacations etc... I'd hire a personal chef to cook for us. I'd also buy a kick @ss quilting machine and rent a small office space to keep it as work space.

^ we have one of those at work!

I'd buy the house down the road that's for sale to use as a guest house so that my in-laws would never stay with us again.

We just cashed in a previous lottery ticket that we got the powerball on for 2 plays in tonight's drawing. If we were to win it I would be quitting my job once all the details were worked out and I knew when I was getting my check. I don't think I would retire, but I would take time off at least until the kids start school full-time to live it up a bit while we can. I don't know if we would move or not, but we would probably upgrade our house. I'd probably get a new car as well, but I'm not sure what.

I'd stay at my job, but I'd act like all the people I work with that are close to retirement age...where I'm going to do my job, but I reserve the right to say fyou.

Jobwise I would definitely find something that was part time...just enough to keep the mental accuity up and going.

I gotta get a ticket this afternoon...

I'd pay off the house. Maybe do like csb, but maybe quit and write full time.

Depends on the payout. Less than $4 million I'd keep working full time, but take some sweet vacations and buy a house on a decent sized lot.

More than $4 million, I'd probably quit working full time and travel more. I'd like to do more mountain climbing.

$100 million or more and I'd be getting myself a private jet. We'd be having some sweet-ass EB get togethers.

^you could pay to upgrade Flyers flying license to jets and he could fly us all to the get togethers

The usual boring stuff like paying off bills and setting up college funds for the kiddos.

I would probably keep working, but like posted above, do so like a soon-to-be-retired guy.

I would use a large portion of what's left over to get into real estate. Buy properties (most likely apartment complexes), rent them out, build a real-estate management company and hire people to manage it all for me.

In order, depending on value:

-Pay off all unsecured debts

-Donate to a few non-profits that are important to me.

-Keep working, with reduced hours for a while if possible.

-Invest about 5m for long-term expenses

-Get a passport

-Buy a new car
-Pay off house

-Design a house to my specifications

-Take a long vacation - 3 weeks, minimum, to Europe or East Asia. Meet up with internet friends in London.

-Move into house

-Start or find a non-profit to distribute most or all of the remaining money to the causes I find most important, most likely through a series of scholarships or trusts.

someone was supposed to say...

2 chics at the same time...

What I always wanted to do if I won a big one ($50 Million or more) was buy this old circuit city near the mall and turn it into a grand dive shop with a aquarium like pool, where you could take scuba lessons in salt water with real salt water fish, sand, etc, and also offer free (or nominal fee) to school's so they could some see a big aquarium without paying big money..

I learned from talking to the bank that currently owns this property is the taxes are $165,000 / year! So it would probably operate at a huge loss but be a tax writeoff..

now that I am moving to Colorado that might change but I am still gonna go buy a ticket at lunch today!

I'd buy an island, stock it with Playboy Bunnies (or hot engineer babes) and have a "catch and release" program.....

Back