If you could design your house, clean sheet

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought of one more feature on my way into work this morning. A dumbwaiter system if the house is 2 stories so I wouldn't have to carry things up the stairs.

In my dream house, you wouldn't be able to see any other houses. Or hear neighbor's dogs or traffic.

I was planning on building our shop before our house, so I only designed for a 2 car, but it rained all spring and into summer here in 2008, so when we could get the concrete done, it was one or the other since it was already June...I stretched the garage by 4ft each direction and added 1ft to the doors each way thinking that would be big enough, wrong, I wish I had done at least 4ft more each way, it's never big enough!

Having an upstairs laundry room would have been nice too, especially with kids...

I also laid out the unfinished basement with a future kitchen, a full bath and a bedroom...it's basically an apartment. Someday as parents get older, it may be necessary, or more likely I may end up in the doghouse, so at least I'll have some creature comforts!

^^^ We have a "mother-in-law's" suite on the first floor. There's only one bedroom on the main floor that has a door directly into the only main floor bathroom. That way the parents don't have to deal with stairs...

We're starting to put together plans on how to finish out the basement, and so far we're looking at a small fitness studio, a 3/4 bath, a wet-bar/kitchenette (kitchen minus stove/oven), a decent sized storage/utility room, and leaving the rest (about 25' by 30') open for entertainment (pool table, poker table, projection TV, etc). I'll be framing in the storage room next week during my time off, but the rest of it probably won't happen for a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having an upstairs laundry room would have been nice too, especially with kids...
Until the washer hose breaks, floods the area, and ruins all that crappy OSB and 'engineered' wood products they build houses out of nowadays.

Which reminds me...no 'engineered' wood products.

Because solid wood isn't effected by moisture at all...

ed_wd_britannicawarp.jpg

Back