If there was one thing...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^hey a step father can just as must influence and adoration as a biological father...sometime more.

I was thinking the same thing... a Father is the one who raises the kid, not errr... you know

Pays child support?

It's not from the child's perspective, it's from mine. Thought of more custody hearings or a druggie/alcoholic showing his face always lingers. Reminded of it every time I see/hear her last name. She refers to her biological father by his first name, now.

Also, he doesn't pay child support. Supposed to, though.

I hate thinking about things like this because honestly I love my life how it is and couldn't imagine myself in a different place, but there are probably two things that I've thought about changing if I had the chance.

First, I would have went to a different college on a football scholarship instead of the one I chose. I had the chance to play for one of the most storied programs in history but wrote them off without even visiting the campus because I had always hated the school. I could have gotten a degree from a very well respected university for free, but instead I ended up playing for a couple of years under a coach that didn't recruit me and never liked me and ended up quitting and transferring to a school not far from where I grew up. It's all worked out great, but who's to say what could have been?

The second thing I would possibly change is trying to move away from where I'm at now before the wife and I had really settled down and started a family. Like I said, I love where I'm at, but I've been in the same general area since I was 10 years old and in a lot of ways I would like a change.
yeah call me before you do that ;)

Working for the DoD right after the fall of the Berlin wall was a soul crushing experience. It was an interesting period to live through, but you remember the Chinese curse about may you live in interesting times....

Working for the DoD right after the fall of the Berlin wall was a soul crushing experience. It was an interesting period to live through, but you remember the Chinese curse about may you live in interesting times....

How so?

Well, there was the do more with less mentality, so people weren't being replaced. Wings were being consolidated, so there were less "groups" on paper, but the amount of equipment to manage remained the same. When I started working there, we had 24 engineers in my group, typical cold war staffing level for 'in case something happens.' They were down to two engineers by the late nineties.

You can't really sustain a program effectively with that staffing, so they outsourced to contractors. Because their pay comes from a different pot of money and even thought they cost more per seat than civil service, the government can claim they

are reducing headcount.'

Now on to the acquisition side. When they gravy days for the services dried up in 1992 or so, the political pull on new programs became unreal. Decisions were based solely on what senator/congressman/contractor had the most pull, rather than being based on logic and facts. I worked directly on two major programs that went seriously sideways, numerous smaller programs that went seriously sideways, and worked peripherally on the F-22 program which was such a cluster-foo that absolutely no one outside the gov could comprehend the level of goat rope going on.

And the interservice/interplatform rivalries got really nasty. In the AF, the bomber/fighter battles were legendary. In the army, it was the tankers vs light infantry. Don't know what it was in the Navy.

It was a mess. And I couldn't be part of what I considered to be a very, very large problem, so I quit.

So basically, what is going on right now with the cut backs now that the 'Desert Wars' are "over"... is just a replay of what happened when the Cold War "ended"... ????

Edit- I added question marks so it was obvious this was a question.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically, what is going on right now with the cut backs now that the 'Desert Wars' are "over"... is just a replay of what happened when the Cold War "ended"... ????

Edit- I added question marks so it was obvious this was a question.

Yes.

The difference being that after the cold war, major acquisition programs were shut down and there were major shifts in force structure organizations afoot. What is going on now, at least from the outside, seems to be a reduction in personel and not much of a force structure reorg.

Even after the 91 gulf was I had 6 months left on my enlistment and they were getting rid of anyone they could..I had to do son e reserve time anyways and they were like you can go ahead and get out f active duty if you want and report to your reserve unit...

Literally after all the equipment came back from the desert we would go weeks and do nothing. We would have formation and then just sit around trying to stay busy. Hell people even contested for KP,CQ, etc just I have something to do...

^A friend of mine went into the AF in 1990. Within a year she decided she didn't like it, and they just said, "OK." Wrote her an honorable discharge and that was that.

I spent a week cataloging 25 pallets worth of 40K and 25K loader parts that came back from the Gulf, so they could re-enter the supply system. They ended up DRMOing (trashing) all of it.

I guess it's just hard for me to look at the big picture when I see how busy my husband is, I'm sure there are some units that don't have anything to do, I just have never seen a time where he was in one of those units I guess. He has been with TRADOC for years now so maybe that's why.

^It is going to get rough for those left. Even when they scale back on the mission objectives, you'll still need roughly the same amount of personnel supporting the guys on the front line.

If they cut support personnel in the same ratio they cut field guys, there will be issues.

And I think at the time while we were not busy I was assigned to the 24th infantry division which had been in Iraq for over a year so I guess when they came back there was so many people on leave for extended periods of time it was like it was almost impossible for anyone to do anything

A friend of mine was naval nuclear officer and decided he'd had enough of the Navy and put in his papers to get out. he said he had daily calls to explain his departure on up the chain of command.

When he got to the captain, who was kind of cool, he was really sick of having to explain himself. The Captain asked him what he thought he was going to fdo after he mustered out. "S@^k d%^k for a nickel until I get my self esteem back."

Never had to answer again.

Back