I always heard transportation was easy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then, if any trained monkey can pass the damn test why do so many people fail?Someone pleaszzzz splain that to me like I am 7.

I am not one to drop links from 'the other board', but this is just TOO choice not to post.

A person of great reknown has weighed in with his comments on the subject matter of this thread .... TMckeon's Words of Wisdom on Transpo

There you have it ... engineering guru, engineer forum moderator/webmaster, engineer proprietor, and now subject matter expert. :screwloose: And he has the nerve to scoff at ANYONE on this board. Words fail me ...

JR

Last edited:
I am not one to drop links from 'the other board', but this is just TOO choice not to post.
A person of great reknown has weighed in with his comments on the subject matter of this thread .... TMckeon's Words of Wisdom on Transpo

There you have it ... engineering guru, engineer forum moderator/webmaster, engineer proprietor, and now subject matter expert. :screwloose: And he has the nerve to scoff at ANYONE on this board. Words fail me ...

JR
[SIZE=14pt]It must be nice to be as smart as that guy! If only I were so lucky![/SIZE]

OXYMORON. TMC and words of wisdom can't go in same sentence.

Also, isn't he the guy that said storm water modeling was the "Hardest thing in civil eng"? or something like that.

Take that for what its worth.

He obviously has no clue on what's on the Transpo test. Anyone that plans on taking it with just the CERM and six-minute solutions is setting themselves up for a bad day.

the AASHTO green book, MUTCD, HCM, and Roadside Design Guide are MUST HAVE's for that test.

OXYMORON. TMC and words of wisdom can't go in same sentence.
Also, isn't he the guy that said storm water modeling was the "Hardest thing in civil eng"? or something like that.

Take that for what its worth.

He obviously has no clue on what's on the Transpo test. Anyone that plans on taking it with just the CERM and six-minute solutions is setting themselves up for a bad day.

the AASHTO green book, MUTCD, HCM, and Roadside Design Guide are MUST HAVE's for that test.
+1 on this.. i have heard that transp crap for sometime now.. it baffles me how on this earth can someone think that? transportation is way more than curves, LOS and red,yellow, green lights!!!

JR
What the f@#$?Who the hell this guy thinks he is?Now I am sure.He must be on drugs or some kind of psycho treatment.

JR
That's funny, looks like the folks on the other board responded appropriately.

I was told the same thing, I work in Bridge Design and like many of my coworkers in the past, I took the afternoon depth of Transportation (yes I know it doesn’t make sense), but they said it was easy, but I didn’t pass the first time I took it, there are always going to be some questions/problems you will have no clue as to where to find them, unless you practice it everyday. The format seems to always change and you can do hundreds of problems to prepare, but you really need to be familiar with all the references, mainly where to look and not waste valuable time flipping through pages and looking in Indexes, so IMO its not as easy as I thought it was, if you have no design background Water resources would be the best depth to take.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG that was not an easy afternoon discipline to take.
I had always heard that transpo was the more straightforward exam to take out of the rest of the civil disciplines but I think that was most certainly some bad information...

:bawling:
I think different people have different thought, maybe I am a money who can't eat its banana. :deadhorse:

Was studying for October, but moved to April. I was flip flopping between WR and Transpo. Having ZERO environmental background, and some transpo, the setup for PM transpo just seems to be thge best route (I'm looking for some advice here from the folks that just took the exam). The WR questions on the PM transpo look to be of the mannings/hydrology form, which I deal with at work frequently. I have procured the HCM, AASHTO, MUTCD, ect. I have however, seen sample problems that will really bust the 6minutes simply because of the constant flipping through the HCM.

Anywho, I am still considering the PM transpo in April, unless I find compelling evidence during my studies to go back to WR.

Anywho, I am still considering the PM transpo in April, unless I find compelling evidence during my studies to go back to WR.
I'm glad I don't have to make this decision anymore, but with the WR being combined with Enviro, that would give me alot of motive to move towards Transpo. (thats just my opinion)

I am a tranportation engineer, and I took the transportation PM module. I studied a lot of different material so I felt pretty prepared.

However, they threw in enough differences on the exam that I was unsure of questions. It was difficult for the fact that they can ask so many questions that are not part the typical design process for a road, I ran into a few questions I have never even heard of.

Hopefully, I passed and that will prove once and for all even a monkey can pass the transportation PM.

OMG that was not an easy afternoon discipline to take.
I had always heard that transpo was the more straightforward exam to take out of the rest of the civil disciplines but I think that was most certainly some bad information...

:bawling:

Yeah, I made that mistake too...twice. My background was in Construction with some WR. Since the Construction Module hadn't been created yet, I figured transportation would be the one to take. Yeah right, all my design experience was in water. Trying to learn new code was a pain. I'll stick with what I know, thank you very much.

Back