Hydrology Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director
Reaction score
I am taking the Transpo PM - do I need to know anything about runoff other than the rational method? Do I need to get familiar with SCS / NCRS and CN numbers, etc.? This came up wehn I figured I would try to do a fair number of the NCEES sample afternoon Water questions. Some seem to draw on some pretty specific references that I don't have. Any direction on this would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray

I am taking the Transpo PM - do I need to know anything about runoff other than the rational method? Do I need to get familiar with SCS / NCRS and CN numbers, etc.? This came up wehn I figured I would try to do a fair number of the NCEES sample afternoon Water questions. Some seem to draw on some pretty specific references that I don't have. Any direction on this would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks.

Ray

I am in the same boat Ray. So thanks for posing the question. I know the the CERM does not cover everything you need for Water Resource or Geo. Be nice to know of some good references that would help in this area.

If you look at the specification for the Civil PE Exam (NCEES), you are provided the following:

Civil (Breadth)

V. WATER RESOURCES 20%

A. Hydraulics – energy dissipation, energy/continuity equation, pressure conduit, open channel flow,

flow rates, friction/minor losses, flow equations, hydraulic jump, culvert design, velocity control.

B. Hydrology – storm characterization, storm frequency, hydrographs, rainfall intensity & duration, runoff analysis.

C. Water Treatment – demands, hydraulic loading, storages (raw & treated water).

Civil (Depth - Transportation)

III. WATER RESOURCES 20%

A. Hydraulics - Open channel flow, flow rates (domestic, irrigation, fire), flow equations, culvert design, velocity control

B. Hydrology - Rainfall intensity & duration, runoff analysis, flood plain/floodway

From the looks of it, you can potentially see hydrology topics that would include problems like CN Numbers (runoff analysis) in the Breadth or Transportation Depth. I think it is definitely worth some investment of your time (and patience) to become familiar with aspects of runoff problems like:

- Rational Method

- SCS Method

- CN values/application of CN #'s

- Time of Concetration formulae/methods

- Unit hydrograph

IMHO, I felt that CERM did NOT do a very good job in providing ample coverage of hydrology (runoff) problems. I supplemented my material with a reference book - Hydrology & Hydraulic Systems, Ram S. Gupta (ISBN 0881338656). This was a very good book in MANY respects, not just hydrology. If you can pick it up for cheap I would highly recommend it.

In terms of your immediate needs, you can find a supplement for runoff problems from the TR-55 reference manual. This manual can be located and downloaded from:

TR-55 Documentation - Go to Bottom of Page for link

I hope these responses help some - if you have any specific questions and would like to follow-up with a post I will do my best to answer.

Regards,

JR

4:48 AM? I gotta ask, was this before you went to bed or after you got up?

I've got much more respect for the former than the latter.

I have nothing to add to this. You nailed the question better than I could, so I'll just poke fun at you instead.

Though I'm actually working with a professor at the local 2-year tech college here to develop a "stormwater technician" course. Not your full blown hydrology/hydraulics class we took, but a combo of theory and regulatory practice to churn out folks who can file SW permits here, which is a major task. For the most part, it can be handled by a tech rather than all the effort coming from PE and blowing out the budget.

If you're a SW buff, I may need to bounce some ideas off you to get some insight.

4:48 AM? I gotta ask, was this before you went to bed or after you got up?
I had not gone to bed at that time - I did not get to bed until about 8:30 AM. I have a bizarre sleeping disorder. Typically, I don't sleep more than about 3 hrs at any given time. :screwloose:
I also typically stay up 'late' because my wife works from 3 pm - 11 pm, she doesn't get home until about 12 am.

If you're a SW buff, I may need to bounce some ideas off you to get some insight.
I have been spending some time learning more about all things stormwater because I have some projects where surface water/sediments are believed to be contaminated from stormwater loading. I am probably not a 'buff' per se, but somewhat knowledgeable. I will PM you with e-mail if you would like to bounce some ideas off me.

JR

I posted some stormwater stuff on this site that I learned in a study course. I'll do some digging around and try to find it and post it here.

Found it.....

Here is some useful information that I got from a review class and used for the Civil/WR Exam. I wrote these into my CERM for quick reference.

Time of Concentration:

Kirpich Equation: Tc = (0.0078) x L^0.77 / S^0.385

Where L = length, feet and S = slope

Flood Probability:

Pf = 1 – (-1) x (1-R)^(1/n) x 100

Where R = acceptable risk and n = period of interest

R = % / 100

Unit Hydrograph:

Qp / Qh = Qo / Qt

Where: Qp = peak discharge

Qh = hydrograph peak discharge

Qo = measured peak discharge

Qt = hydrograph discharge at time, t

The Kirpich Equation was pretty useful.

I have been spending some time learning more about all things stormwater because I have some projects where surface water/sediments are believed to be contaminated from stormwater loading. I am probably not a 'buff' per se, but somewhat knowledgeable. I will PM you with e-mail if you would like to bounce some ideas off me.
Got your contact info, thanks.

They recently tightened the threshold here for triggering a SW permit, so I've had to become the local expert because we had 3-4 projects in the past months that needed a permit. It just clicks pretty well with me so my boss has had me run with it.

We did a job at the local tech college here. The CE department head had us come up for lunch and give a talk to the class about the design/planning/permitting of the work.

After the lunch we met with the prof and he asked us what skills would be good for 2-year grads to have and we thought that would be a good one. So he asked us to do up a model curriculum for him.

Back