HP33s

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCcarguy

Reaction score
I tried to submit this last week, but I was a bit late. I just late last week noticed that the NEW HP33s that I bought (As a backup) had a MUCH different feel, and display than the older one I had. It appears they listened, and have improved the feel of the buttons a bit, and the display is MUCH clearer. I showed the two to my wife, and she easily noticed the improvement. So if you know anyone looking to buy one, tell them to make sure they get the newer model (Unless you are trying to sell yours on Ebay) then ignore this whole post.

its true. i just bought one 2 weeks ago...and i agree...you can actually see the decimal sign..and the numbers are more "squashed" instead of "vertical" looks clenaer....

my number 0 button doesnt stick anymore either.

Are you saying the newer HP33 is beter than an older HP33 or better than older HPs in general?

The reason I ask is that I decided not to go with the HP33 due to bad reviews I found on the net. Have they fixed these problems over a previous release of the 33?

Ed

I myself have always used Casio for just a plain old scientific calculator. (I use the TI line of graphing calcs.)

I've had basically the same one since high school, just an updated version every few years.

Never tried HP much, but I've never found them too user friendly when I've borrwed someone's.

I have the HP 48SX- for about 15 years now- and love it. I just heard bad "stuff" about the HP 33- so I bought the Casio fx-115MS for the exam.

Ed

I started using a HP11c in the early 80's. I then upgraded to a 42s, the 48GX. The 48GX screen started to do a melt down so I then a 49G, but have never used it because it is not on the 'approved' list.

I got myself a 33s for the exam. Now that I am used to it, I am really happy with it. I have programmed it with everything I most commonly used. I am totally lost on a Algebraic calculator.

:beerchug

Ed,

See my comments (and others) on the HP33s in the "ranking questions" thread below this one.

I've also used the 48s for what seems like eons. The 33s is more useful as a paperweight compared to the 48s.

so I bought the Casio fx-115MS for the exam.
My weapon of choice as well. Used it today to do some drainage calcs as a matter of fact.

And, I got use to use my NH stamp for the first time today on said drainage study. Am I the first one here who has stamped something in multiple states?

I think I am the only stricly TI Guy. I have never used an HP. Even in colllege, everybody I knew used the trusty TI-89. So, I used the TI-36X for the PE. It was so smooth.

Are you saying the newer HP33 is beter than an older HP33 or better than older HPs in general?
The reason I ask is that I decided not to go with the HP33 due to bad reviews I found on the net. Have they fixed these problems over a previous release of the 33?

Ed
In NO way is the 33s better than the older HP calculators.....it's just that the newer HP 33s is better than the older HP33s, you can see the comma's and the periods, and the numbers are clearer, and the buttons seem to be more solid.

Back