How long should I give myself to prepare for the new CBT PE Power Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of trying to estimate how long it will take to study, just start studying.
When you're able to easily answer the practice test questions from the various practice exams available then schedule the test.

Get the engineering pro guides technical study guide for $45 or Zach Stones Electrical PE Review material (part of the course is free) and just get started.

You can get an older edition the Wildi book or most other reference books used for around 20 bucks then find the solution manual online. The older editions work just as well as the newer ones when studying for the test.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrical...697936&hash=item3b559c5ec7:g:d4oAAOSwzlxf0pMv
You can get an incredible amount of study material very cheap this way.

The hardest part is just getting started but taking small steps in the right direction will lead to big gains over time.

I did answer it, I’m in CA . We can take the test after passing the EIT, but I won’t be a PE without the experience and references. Everybody seems to say graffeo isn’t the best, I’ll keep that it mind then.
I still highly recommend you keep the Graffeo book you have, at least for the practice exam at the end of the book. The exam has some decent questions.

(It is true though, that the reference material chapters are rather outdated at this point.)

I still highly recommend you keep the Graffeo book you have, at least for the practice exam at the end of the book. The exam has some decent questions.

(It is true though, that the reference material chapters are rather outdated at this point.)
Honestly I want to go through it and then go to other materials recommended. I saw an interview question I got on like page 14 and it made me highly upset because if I had started studying earlier maybe I would have got it lmao. I mean my interview was on the day I found out I passed the fe exam but still.

Congrats on the FE! Everyone else is giving fantastic advice and I agree with everything being shared.

In my state I needed 4 years of working experience to submit for review before registering for a seat. My plan was to study for 3 months for the October 2020 test but that got cancelled so I wasn't able to take the test until early January.

The cancellation really made me procrastinate studying which turned out to be awful because I had some unexpected life stuff happen which got in the way of studying. So I spent a month and a half studying and grinding problems from the following resources (listing them in order of how I felt they helped me):
  • Zach Stone Practice Exam
  • NCEES Practice Exam
  • Graffeo Book
  • Spin Up (good for basics)
  • Complex Imaginary (good to perfect your math calculations)
The biggest game changer for me was after I ran through all of those practice exams I googled and youtube'd videos on the practical concepts of things I encountered. If I were to redo studying properly I would probably spend the first month looking over the concepts of all the topics and familiarize myself with them. Spend the second month grinding problems and the last month solidifying fundamentals. I would probably add the EngineerProGuides and Cram for the Exam tests to my arsenal because I felt the Spin Up and Complex Imaginary tests were too straight forward. Graffeo book is a good source

Good Luck!

Instead of trying to estimate how long it will take to study, just start studying.
When you're able to easily answer the practice test questions from the various practice exams available then schedule the test.

Get the engineering pro guides technical study guide for $45 or Zach Stones Electrical PE Review material (part of the course is free) and just get started.

You can get an older edition the Wildi book or most other reference books used for around 20 bucks then find the solution manual online. The older editions work just as well as the newer ones when studying for the test.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrical...697936&hash=item3b559c5ec7:g:d4oAAOSwzlxf0pMv
You can get an incredible amount of study material very cheap this way.

The hardest part is just getting started but taking small steps in the right direction will lead to big gains over time.
I get your logic 100% and I agree only reason why I was trying to figure out an estimate is because of covid. When I signed up for my fe exam it was originally scheduled for December then got pushed to a date which I chose to be mid January. I just figure if something similar happens again it would probably be in my favor to pick a date soon

Congrats on the FE! Everyone else is giving fantastic advice and I agree with everything being shared.

In my state I needed 4 years of working experience to submit for review before registering for a seat. My plan was to study for 3 months for the October 2020 test but that got cancelled so I wasn't able to take the test until early January.

The cancellation really made me procrastinate studying which turned out to be awful because I had some unexpected life stuff happen which got in the way of studying. So I spent a month and a half studying and grinding problems from the following resources (listing them in order of how I felt they helped me):
  • Zach Stone Practice Exam
  • NCEES Practice Exam
  • Graffeo Book
  • Spin Up (good for basics)
  • Complex Imaginary (good to perfect your math calculations)
The biggest game changer for me was after I ran through all of those practice exams I googled and youtube'd videos on the practical concepts of things I encountered. If I were to redo studying properly I would probably spend the first month looking over the concepts of all the topics and familiarize myself with them. Spend the second month grinding problems and the last month solidifying fundamentals. I would probably add the EngineerProGuides and Cram for the Exam tests to my arsenal because I felt the Spin Up and Complex Imaginary tests were too straight forward. Graffeo book is a good source

Good Luck!
Thank you this is short and to the point, I appreciate it!

Also Zach Stone has plenty of free articles on his website. Go to YouTube and search for his videos. He has plenty of free videos you could watch. You can see if his teaching style is right for you before you decide whether to invest in a live course or not.

Justin Kauwale (Eng Pro Guides) is also a very good teacher.

Thanks for the mention everyone.

@jujux15 if you're looking to get started, here is a large amount of excellent free material:

Electrical PE Review - Free Trial

Included in the Free Trial:
  • Complex Numbers and Polar Math (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Engineering Economics (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Engineering Economics (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Three-Phase Circuits (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Three-Phase Circuits (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Power Supplies and Converters (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Power Supplies and Converters (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Motor Equivalent Circuits and Characteristics (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Fault Current Analysis (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Fault Current (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Introduction to Overcurrent Protection
Bonus Material Included in the Free Trial:
  • How to Beat the Electrical Power PE Exam: Live Webinar Recording (Includes printable PDF of webinar slides)
  • Power Factor Correction: Live Webinar Recording (Includes printable PDF of the Workbook Notes)
  • Power Relationships, Delta vs Wye Transformers Connections, and Phasor Diagrams: Live Webinar Recording (Includes printable PDF of the Workbook Notes)
  • Fault Current Analysis: (Includes printable PDF of the Workbook Notes)

In addition to the Free Trial, there is a wealth of excellent example problems located on our YouTube channel, and Free Articles section of our website.

Also, a new YouTube series called "How to Pass the CBT PE Exam" interviews with electrical engineers that passed the new CBT PE exam in power.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to me in this thread and I'll do my best to answer you.

That should keep you busy for awhile :)

Thanks for the mention everyone.

@jujux15 if you're looking to get started, here is a large amount of excellent free material:

Electrical PE Review - Free Trial

Included in the Free Trial:
  • Complex Numbers and Polar Math (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Engineering Economics (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Engineering Economics (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Three-Phase Circuits (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Three-Phase Circuits (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Power Supplies and Converters (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Power Supplies and Converters (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Motor Equivalent Circuits and Characteristics (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Fault Current Analysis (Video and Text Lessons)
  • Fault Current (10 Question Practice Test)
  • Introduction to Overcurrent Protection
Bonus Material Included in the Free Trial:
  • How to Beat the Electrical Power PE Exam: Live Webinar Recording (Includes printable PDF of webinar slides)
  • Power Factor Correction: Live Webinar Recording (Includes printable PDF of the Workbook Notes)
  • Power Relationships, Delta vs Wye Transformers Connections, and Phasor Diagrams: Live Webinar Recording (Includes printable PDF of the Workbook Notes)
  • Fault Current Analysis: (Includes printable PDF of the Workbook Notes)

In addition to the Free Trial, there is a wealth of excellent example problems located on our YouTube channel, and Free Articles section of our website.

Also, a new YouTube series called "How to Pass the CBT PE Exam" interviews with electrical engineers that passed the new CBT PE exam in power.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to me in this thread and I'll do my best to answer you.

That should keep you busy for awhile :)
thank you!

Based off all the advice everyone has given me, and the fact that although I have passed the FE exam, I dont have the real world experience that others may have had taking the exam. I think I will sign up to take the exam 6 months from now. An added benefit for me is I have seen some topics on the exam that I am not that comfortable with, for example I didnt really learn much about protection in school, its something that has come up in a few interviews I have had and it always bothered me that I didnt know much about the subject. Hopefully studying the PE as well as passing it will give me the needed edge in knowledge to get hired. Also in case someone missed it again, I live in CA I can take the PE exam since I have passed the FE exam, but I still need experience and references to get my PE license in the future.

Back