Historical Images

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master slacker

Something awesome.
Reaction score
In one of my other forums, there is a thread that includes tons of incredibly interesting pictures throughout history. The images remind me how REAL the times were. I'll pick and post some. Maybe you have some to add.

ScjLA2c.jpg

London readers in library after bombing

3a23815u_820_596_85.jpg

Swearing Lincoln into office from other angle.

Yg7WDjJ.jpg

Paris athletic club 1913.

Qyvjphy.jpg

Chernobyl

BW6GMc3.jpg

Chernobyl again.

800px-Boulevard_du_Temple_by_Daguerre.jpg

Thought to be the first picture of a person. The photo was taken by Louis Daguerre in late 1838 or early 1839 in Paris. It is of a busy street, but because exposure time was over ten minutes, the city traffic was moving too much to appear. The exception is a man in the bottom left corner, who stood still getting his boots polished long enough to show.

0EiFq3C.jpg

Believed to be a Japanese POW.

DJVAQce.jpg

Two average guys playing with electricity...

NkTN9.jpg

Atlantic City 1915.

rgHl8.jpg

Boardwalk 1904.

u513sGd.jpg

Here we are in 1905.

hooverdam.jpg

Something not experienced by the EB'ers during the first non-conference get together.

The pictures are amazing....I could look at historical pics all day...Mrs Wolf's great uncle passed away last year and he was a WW2 vet. I found a stack of old WW2 pics in his truck while I was helping go through it...not sure where most are from, maybe France, but I'm having a friend touch them up and then I'm going to enlarge a print of each and hang the original and the print together in my office as a display...

The helmet of Ayrton Senna following the crash that killed him. One of the most revered drivers in F1 history, and a hero for Brazil. The cause of the crash is still unknown, but upon impact, the suspension and front wheel swung around at 130 mph and hit him directly in the head. He was pronounced brain dead before the end of the race and died shortly thereafter.

image51.jpg

B2isPIB.jpg

Lowering the flag on the sinking Japanese aircraft carrier Zuikaku during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Last remaining carrier of the 6 that carried out the attack on Pearl Harbor.

BE047790.jpg

On Sept. 2, 1945, Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu formally signed the surrender documents on board the USS Missouri. General Douglas MacArthur, who would then lead the Occupation forces, can be seen in the foreground at the microphone.

s_w36_10111621_zps37a2f2ee.jpg

Jimmy Stewart, former movie star, is sworn in as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Corps by Lt. E.L. Reid, personnel officer of the west coast training center at Moffett Field, California, on January 1, 1941. Stewart was one of Hollywood's most popular actors before he was inducted into the Army in 1941.

s_w07_28-1271M_zps1bdcc01d.jpg

Captured Japanese photograph taken during the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. In the distance, the smoke rises from Hickam Field.

s_w14_23016597_zpsacc62659.jpg

Across the Channel, Britain was being struck by continual bombardment by thousands of V-1 and V-2 bombs launched from German-controlled territory. This photo, taken from a fleet street roof-top, shows a V-1 flying bomb "buzzbomb" plunging toward central London. The distinctive sky-line of London's law-courts clearly locates the scene of the incident. Falling on a side road off Drury Lane, this bomb blasted several buildings, including the office of the Daily Herald. The last enemy action of British soil was a V-1 attack that struck Datchworth in Hertfordshire, on March 29 1945.

Latest posts

Back