Help with solution

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrug20

Project Engineer
Reaction score
I have been successfully asking questions before about solutions for the problems I am working on, and had excellent answers. I am trying again. I am not very good at this area, but working hard on it and hopefully will make it in October.

See attached file and help me to understand this problem, please.

I have been successfully asking questions before about solutions for the problems I am working on, and had excellent answers. I am trying again. I am not very good at this area, but working hard on it and hopefully will make it in October.See attached file and help me to understand this problem, please.
.05 is the moisture content required to place the fill at the optimum moisture content of 14%. The existing borrow is at 9%, therefore one needs to add a total of 5% which is where you get the .05 from. This will determine your volume of water required for the fill.

I have been successfully asking questions before about solutions for the problems I am working on, and had excellent answers. I am trying again. I am not very good at this area, but working hard on it and hopefully will make it in October.See attached file and help me to understand this problem, please.
.05 is the moisture content required to place the fill at the optimum moisture content of 14%. The existing borrow is at 9%, therefore one needs to add a total of 5% which is where you get the .05 from. This will determine your volume of water required for the fill.
In other words 14%-9% = 5%

This is a perfect example of what to expect on the exam. Another approach would be to use phase diagrams since they can help you visualize the pre- and post-compaction conditions of a soil.

Good luck!

thanks a lot. It seems so obvious, when you know the answer:screwloose:

Back