Help on upcoming car purchase

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dex, so your keeping Bee after all? Great pics btw!
This close to it being paid off and not overly thrilled with the Gen 6 Camaro, I think I'll keep it for a while. Either pick up a commuter car or upgrade Mrs Dex's SUV once Bee is paid off.

I'm really liking these: Mercedes GLA45 AMG

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/mercedes-benz/2015-mercedesbenz-gla-45-amg-review-4149.html

2015-Mercedes-Benz-GLA-45-AMG-Review-exterior-3q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to put that on my list of cars to test drive. I hate the "tablet" trend in these new cars though. Did they forget about it during the design process and just stick it on at the end?

...I hate the "tablet" trend in these new cars though....

My wife's car has touch screen controls. You can't see shit when it's sunny out and bright in the car. I'm very happy with the dials and buttons in my 2005 Corolla.

I'm going to put that on my list of cars to test drive. I hate the "tablet" trend in these new cars though. Did they forget about it during the design process and just stick it on at the end?
yeah i don't get this trend...technically Illinois is a handsfree state, no texting or talking directly with a phone so how is a tablet screen in the car any different. you are distracted for several seconds to change screens to get to the controls you want

I will admit that's the one big thing I don't like about it. I agree that it completely looks like they forgot about the controls during design and just scabbed something on. Now if it was simply a docking station and could take it with me on the train for the rest of my commute...

2015-GLA-CLASS-GLA45-017-MCFO.jpg

That's the same design on the Mazda and I also don't like it. I think it gets it up to a better viewpoint for quick glances at maps, but it looks awful. And I'm sure there's some SHRP study that shows the optimum height for navigation systems.

The 2015 Subaru Legacy has heated rear seats. Winter nooners no longer require sacrifice on the part of the bottom!

I have a BMW X1 that I bought in March that I love. It's my first "fast car". It doesn't have touch screen controls, but rather a large knob in the center console that controls everything on the screen. Also, 28 mpg combined.

I have a BMW X1 that I bought in March that I love. It's my first "fast car". It doesn't have touch screen controls, but rather a large knob in the center console that controls everything on the screen. Also, 28 mpg combined.

Just be careful when it's out of warranty. Those bimmer repairs get really expensive.

Yeah I paid for the "everything's covered for 100k miles" because I have a 110 mile commute. It is nice that they also include all oil changes and maintenance up to 50k miles.

My Ford Explorer had the MyTouch and the fancy-pants touchscreen, but once you got moving it would disable itself and you had to do everything with the buttons on the steering wheel or by voice commands. I'm surprised that's not how it is on all cars.

My Ford Explorer had the MyTouch and the fancy-pants touchscreen, but once you got moving it would disable itself and you had to do everything with the buttons on the steering wheel or by voice commands. I'm surprised that's not how it is on all cars.

That's the same on my Lexus. The phone keypad /gps will work when stationary but once you get over 2-3 mph it won't allow any input.

The only thing my Touareg disables is the video in motion. Otherwise, it just pops up a warning about inputting an address while driving. Having it disable completely would be annoying since you can have a passenger doing the work.

That's the same on my Lexus. The phone keypad /gps will work when stationary but once you get over 2-3 mph it won't allow any input.
Same on our Infinity FX-35.

I wired the "park indicator" wire on my truck's DVD player to ground. Voila... video while driving. I don't watch, but will put on movies for junior when she rides in the truck since its a standard cab.

Back