Hard Rock Hotel construction site collapse in New Orleans

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
City inspection logs showed Treadaway gave contractors at the Hard Rock site the approval to pour slab on the 14th floor. Instead, GPS data from the city vehicle showed on that July day, Treadaway made a morning stop in Treme, then went to the Westbank, stopping at the University of Holy Cross, his home in Gretna and an Ochsner Clinic -- but not near the Hard Rock Hotel site.
I've heard this story before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Philadelphia_building_collapse

tl;dr The L&I inspector did the same thing. He killed himself out of guilt.

Co worker posted this the other day. Those are some serious field changes.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Co worker posted this the other day. Those are some serious field changes.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for sharing.
For whatever it's worth the city councilwoman, Kristen Palmer, who they talked about at the beginning of this video lost her recent election campaign.

They used W6x20 columns on the top floors? WTF were they thinking?? I have never seen something so small in a multi-story building.

The engineer that signed off on this is facing a major legal battle, I know I could never get my calcs to pencil out on something that small for that type of load even when ignoring wind/seismic!

I’ve never seen a W6 used ever! Smallest we’ll go is a W8, for connections like mentioned above.

I've used W6 in the past for a short elevated walkway brace and in numerous pipe supports.

As for using them as part of the primary structural system, never.

I really appreciate the "nothing lined up and the beams were too short so we just slugged weld metal in there to fill the gaps instead" approach.

Back