Happy 4th of July

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy fourth of July America!

TeddyvsSasuatch.jpg

We had a BBQ here and the usual games; oddly enough the Brits were rather somber.......

fireworks were cancelled this year due to the drought/dry conditions. The pool is out of commission right now due to mustard alge. We went to the park early in the morning before the heat then rented movies for the rest fo the day.

Tueday night we went to see fireworks (via boat) on one end of the lake.. got home late slept till 12:00 on July4 th, went back to lake around 2:00 it rained like hell a soon as we got to the dock, hung around at dock till 5:00 or so, no one one the lake right after rain = great skiing / wakeboarding water till it got dark, then went and watched fireworks via boat on the other end of the lake...

I dont really care for suffering through big crowds watching fireworks (I guess we all just do it for the kids), but watching them in your own boat makes them okay, at least kids can jump in water and swim around make noise a little without sitting on some asphalt road or parkign lot waiting for them...

All in all a pretty good day, alarm clock for work today REALLY SUCKED!!!

...alarm clock for work today REALLY SUCKED!!!
I got up and ran the Peachtree yesterday so getting up for work today was actually sleeping in by comparison. :wacko:

We went and watched fireworks Tuesday night. It rained like crazy for an hour or so prior to the fireworks, cleared up just before the fireworks started and then it came down in buckets again halfway through the show. The fireworks with the backdrop of lightening bolts was pretty cool though.

There wasn't much here in the Denver area for fireworks. Only a couple small shows on the north side of town, so we didn't bother trying to get setup to watch anything. Instead, the neighborhood decided to shut down the street again with a block party.

RW, we havent done the peachtree in a long... time.. but I told my kids were all doing it next year (they will all be 10, 12, 14) so I think its time they suck it up and do it.........I was hoping we could do the cobb labor day classis but that race has pretty much died...

RW, we havent done the peachtree in a long... time.. but I told my kids were all doing it next year (they will all be 10, 12, 14) so I think its time they suck it up and do it...
This was the first year I have done the Peachtree. Previous years it always seemed like something else was going on for the July 4th holiday (travel usually). Mostly I just didn't want to deal with the clusterfuck of getting to and from a race with 60k participants and that started and finished in different places. This year, since the holiday was on a Wednesday, we didn't make and travel plans and friends finally nagged me enough to sign up. As I expected getting to and from the race was kind of a hassle, but I went with people who had run the race many times before so they had a pretty good plan for getting there. It worked out and it was an enjoyable race, but I certainly wouldn't commit to doing it every year like some people do.

I was hoping we could do the cobb labor day classis but that race has pretty much died...
Are you talking about the US10k classic? That was actually the 10k that I did run all the time. I liked it a lot (despite the hilly course). It was big enough to be a good event but still small enough that it wasn't overwhelming. I was bummed when they cancelled it last year. It doesn't look like they are running this year either, but it looks like they plan to be back for 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why we stopped running it, too many bus rides with smelly ass people.. it works well if you have friends and can leave a car at the finish and then shuttle back to the starting line so that whay when your done you can avoid MARTA.. one year we just walked back to the starting point and I think that was actually faster..

They are doing the US10K classic on memorial day 2013.. "rumor" is that the bus service which was provided by taxpayers wasnt going to be free anymore to the race organizers and they couldnt make the funds work out.. I woudl think they could have charged an extra $20 bucks a person and could have covered the bus service.. I think whitewater also was getting pissy about the finish line being at there entrance and wanted $$$$.

So I think its going to finish at either the marietta square or life college, both of which will take away the thing that made the race different, for me anyways, and that was the straight up and down hills..

I have the family signed up to do the 5K as part of the Atlanta 13.1 in October and then figured it would be a fun thing to do with all the kids.. might help me ease back into running...

Without the bus service to ferry people back to the start the US10k classic can't be viable. The Peachtree can get away with it because they can just say "use Marta". I'm surprised Whitewater would balk at the race being there. It seems like it drums up business for them that wouldn't ordinarily go at that time of year. Admission to whitewater used to be free with your race bib, but the last few years of the race I think the bib only got you a discount to whitewater. If the course changes it will be disappointing. There was something about being able to say you ran that race they people were impressed by. I often heard it called "the toughest 10k in Georgia".

Are you going to run the Atlanta 13.1 (while the family does the 5k)? That's the one that starts at Oglethorpe right? I ran that one (the half marathon not the 5k) a few years ago. It's a tough course too, mostly because the hills are all in the second half. You are pretty much going up hill for two miles from just before mile 10 to 12. It's brutal.

im just gonna do the 5K with the kids, It was the largest 5K i could find that may have some "crowd" element to it..

When Six Flags and Whitewater merged, they (whitewater) became a different animal, they sent the County a bill for the asphalt "damages" to their parking lot from the busses during the race, I think thats what started the.. your not getting the bus service for free anymore.. and they (the county) shouldnt provide the bus service for free, it should be born by the runners and race organizers.. if the economy wasnt in the shitter the county would probably offer the bus service, but its hard to provide perks for a few people when the sacred Police and Fire Departments have gone 5+ years without a raise..

Six Flags bought the local amusement park, jacked up prices several years in a row, didn't add very many new rides, then shut it down 2 years ago. They still haven't found anybody to re-open the park.

Six Flags bought the local park several years ago as well, except that only lasted a few years. The park is still open, although it's back to the original name. Not sure who owns it now though.

six flags needs to return to the basics at all their parks...way too expensive to go there with a family. I think if they lowered their price they'd still make money because people would start going again. Or bring back the twicket dirt cheap. Growing up six flags sold twickets to come back the next day for only like $2. By the time I was a teenager it was up to like $10.

Back