Great Guitarists

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
I'm sure Wolvie will be posting in here. But I'll get it started. Stevie Ray Vaughn (and Dick Dale I suppose).

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56SAxtf-RTg

^^^ that's funny right there. John Mayer is actually a very good guitar player. He's on my good side this year after his latest album, so I'll say nice things about him. Let's hope he doesn't screw it up and get put back on my Douchebag List.

Also good to see Paul Gilbert included in between Segovia and Django Reinhardt up there. He's good, but never quite found his fame, other than simply being one of the best guitar players ever.

Here are a few masters unmentioned so far: "Certified Guitar Players", an imaginary title that Chet Atkins used to jokingly bestow on folks he liked:

- Chet Atkins

- Tommy Emmanuel

- Jerry Reed

- Ry Cooder

- Roy Clark

Look these guys up; you will not be sorry.

Now here is the correct list of the Greatest Guitar Heroes Ever, in the order of their inspirational awesomeness:

Alex Lifeson - Rush

Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits

Eddie Van Halen

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden

Jimi Hendrix

Steve Morse &

Eric Johnson (these two belong higher on the list, but there's only so much room)

David Gilmour - Pink Floyd

Paul Gilbert

John Petrucci - Dream Theatre (he is mind-bogglingly f'awesome)

Joe Satriani

These days, I'm mostly listening to Steve Morse and Eric Johnson, and I even rebuilt my Jimmy Vaughan Signature Strat with custom DiMarzio Steve Morse Signature humbucker pickups, to create The VaughanMorseCaster.

The VMC will be making its onstage debut this Saturday night at a bar over in RG's former backyard.

Kyle Gass! Unfortunately I'm not about to look up Tenacious D on Youtube at work.

While I value ur input. No mention of Clapton = Fail

:p
^^ +100000000
Your analysis sir is incorrect. We were talking about "great" guitar players. Your comments are needed over in the "Overrated Talentless Hacks" thread.

<<< (ducks for cover behind the drum kit and pushes drummer into line of fire, because drummers are expendable anyway.)

The only person inadvertently left off my list is Nigel Tufnel, which I wonder if Spinal Tap is still really that funny here in my old age? I should watch that again.

Oh, and Steve Vai. Winner.

I change my vote to Jason Everman
Jason Everman is not on this list because he is at the top of the other one.

You know, "Guitar Players Who are Also Total Badasses", with Doobie Brother Jeff Skunk Baxter (D.O.D. weapons consultant), Queens Brian May (Astrophysicist), and John McEnroe (professional yeller).

Incidentally (and I am not making this up), I got to play a couple of songs with another listmaker, Don Majowski, former quarterback for the Green Bay Packers the other night.

Or rather I should say, he got to play guitar with me.

Heh heh. Cool guy!

[edit: oops, and I forgot Boston's Tom Scholz, a professional engineer! it's more than a feeling.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Incidentally (and I am not making this up), I got to play a couple of songs with another listmaker, Don Majowski, former quarterback for the Green Bay Packers the other night.

Or rather I should say, he got to play guitar with me.

Heh heh. Cool guy!
What the what?! AWESOME!!! The magic man!

He's not a bad musician! He put on a very competent version of Feel Like Making Love by Bad Company and seemed like a pretty nice guy. Just a dude off the field. He lives in my area and knows a friend of mine, who is friends with some friends of some friends, and they're all in bands, and next thing I know, we're singing a song together and he's uncomfortably close inside my personal space singing backup into my same mic. But it was cool.

One thing I thought was funny: the guy's a badass on the football field, right? But when he's singing, he's got this kind of forlorn, sad artist look. The stage hides his size (Large - not freakishly large, but he's not tiny) so that you'd never guess what his other job is.

Back