GFCI outlet requirement for Transit equipment - mezzanine

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwire

Reaction score
I am working on reviewing a couple documents. The question, does the auxilary outlet that used for plugging in equipment such as laptop, power tool required a GFCI outlet or regular 120V 5A outlet?

The equipment are vending machine, faregate cabinet. Those cabinet are located in the underground area or ground level open space area exposed to maybe some rain, ice ie weather.

I am sure based on 210.8 (3) it required GFCI outlet. But does it applied to those equipment?

GFCI is required in certain areas. It does not consider what is plugged into it, since plugs will accept anything plugged in and the risk of shock is there regardless of the type of device plugged in.

If it might be exposed to wet, then install a GFCI.

GFCI is required in certain areas. It does not consider what is plugged into it, since plugs will accept anything plugged in and the risk of shock is there regardless of the type of device plugged in.

Ya..i did not state it correctly. What I meant is if the equipment is exposed to the weather, then it should be GFI for the auxiliary outlet (from equipment power supply/ breaker)

I concur having had industrial application experience similar to this.

I concur having had industrial application experience similar to this.
I do. Under NEC 210.8, if the considered outdoor application, it required a GFI for the outlet where the workers plug in their equipment for temp, so my question what is really constitute outdoor? Under a roof but yet can exposed to weather and wetness (i.e. open air)

IMO (and from experience), if it doesn't have 4 walls and a roof, it's considered to be outdoors.

IMO (and from experience), if it doesn't have 4 walls and a roof, it's considered to be outdoors.
So after talking to someone else and since the equipment is accessible to public except workers

Exception No. 3 to (4): In industrial establishments only, wherethe conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only

qualified personnel are involved, an assured equipment grounding

conductor program as specified in 590.6(B)(2) shall be

permitted for only those receptacle outlets used to supply equipment

that would create a greater hazard if power is interrupted

or having a design that is not compatible with GFCI protection
I don't think GFI is required unless you guys can find something else?

The vending machine may need a GFCI regardless of location per 422.51. I don't have my code book on me just remembered this is a requirement, but I can't check to see if there are any other exceptions.

Cord-and-plug-connected vending machines manufactured or re-manufactured on or after January 1, 2005 must include a ground-fault circuit interrupter as an integral part of the attachment plug. Cord-and-plug-connected vending machines not incorporating integral GFCI protection must be connected to a GFCI protected outlet.

The vending machine may need a GFCI regardless of location per 422.51. I don't have my code book on me just remembered this is a requirement, but I can't check to see if there are any other exceptions.

Cord-and-plug-connected vending machines manufactured or re-manufactured on or after January 1, 2005 must include a ground-fault circuit interrupter as an integral part of the attachment plug. Cord-and-plug-connected vending machines not incorporating integral GFCI protection must be connected to a GFCI protected outlet.
thanks

Yes I know the vending machine required to have a inline gfci...not the gate though because it's not the same category as vendors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back