Geotech PM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you send me an email address I can send you the class notes as even in reduced format they are still about 9mb.....I can break it into two and send them to you.
What I listed was all that I took to the exam....with the addition of the two books that you listed....that should be all that you need...maybe the Das book for Foundations....

In addition to working the CERM and 6 min Solutions, I would recommend reading the other books, as I found that just doing the problems did not really give me an idea of how to find the problem come the test. It is also a less stressful way to review for the exam...reading is simple...take your time....just trying to solve a problem that you do not know the equations for is going to just dampen your spirit. Reading some of the text also lets you find the important charts and graphs which you might miss if the problems you are solving do not require that sepcific chart. There are just too many different types of problems to study each equation.....knowing which type of problem gives you a better starting place to look for an equation vs. trying to remeber which equations fit the problem. Hopefully, that makes sense.....basically read the theory and get to know the reference...knowing where to look is as important as knowing which equation....also watch for the foot notes on charts.....I did not do a lot of problem solving (Number crunching) the second time around. If you have a degree, you know how to plug and chug....finding the correct equation is the biggest hurdle....slowing down and reading the exam question also helps. Don't be in a big rush...watch your time, but do not rush reading the question.

Let me know what else I can help with....Hang in there it is not such a big mountain to climb.....

Hi Mr. Hockey fan:

Please send me the notes or any material you consider related to the Geotech. Depth, I really will appreciated here is my e-mail:

[email protected]

Thanks again

If you send me an email address I can send you the class notes as even in reduced format they are still about 9mb.....I can break it into two and send them to you.
What I listed was all that I took to the exam....with the addition of the two books that you listed....that should be all that you need...maybe the Das book for Foundations....

In addition to working the CERM and 6 min Solutions, I would recommend reading the other books, as I found that just doing the problems did not really give me an idea of how to find the problem come the test. It is also a less stressful way to review for the exam...reading is simple...take your time....just trying to solve a problem that you do not know the equations for is going to just dampen your spirit. Reading some of the text also lets you find the important charts and graphs which you might miss if the problems you are solving do not require that sepcific chart. There are just too many different types of problems to study each equation.....knowing which type of problem gives you a better starting place to look for an equation vs. trying to remeber which equations fit the problem. Hopefully, that makes sense.....basically read the theory and get to know the reference...knowing where to look is as important as knowing which equation....also watch for the foot notes on charts.....I did not do a lot of problem solving (Number crunching) the second time around. If you have a degree, you know how to plug and chug....finding the correct equation is the biggest hurdle....slowing down and reading the exam question also helps. Don't be in a big rush...watch your time, but do not rush reading the question.

Let me know what else I can help with....Hang in there it is not such a big mountain to climb.....
Hockeyfan,

Please send me Geotech notes at [email protected]

I appreciate your help

Mr. Hockeyfan,

Please send me the Geotech notes at [email protected]

I appreciate your help

I would highly recommend Foundation Engineering by Das. It was the book i used the most besides the CERM.

Yup, I passed the geotech test on my first try April 2009.
Mr. Santiagj, I would really appreciate if you can send me your classes notes regarding Geotechnical, I think I need more complemental notes. I just have the six-min getechnical and Principles of foundations from Das.

I will really appreciate if you can send me those notes or send me an e-mail ([email protected]) what we can do?

Thanks

I took a PE review course at one of the local universities (UMBC). To be honest I was not thrilled with the class. I think it helped me slightly, mainly for the morning portion, but I believe I would have passed the exam on my own without it. I did not keep any of the notes from the review course which I guess shows how valuable I thought they were.

The one thing about going to the class is that it is regemented. I tend to be easily distracted and the class forced me to study or at least look over materials 2 times a week. So I would recommend a class if you are like me.

I still have notes from undergrad and grad school but they are at home and I have a lot. Do you have a specific subject you are looking for more info about? I think that would be better because I am not going to be able to scan all the notes I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a PE review course at one of the local universities (UMBC). To be honest I was not thrilled with the class. I think it helped me slightly, mainly for the morning portion, but I believe I would have passed the exam on my own without it. I did not keep any of the notes from the review course which I guess shows how valuable I thought they were.
The one thing about going to the class is that it is regemented. I tend to be easily distracted and the class forced me to study or at least look over materials 2 times a week. So I would recommend a class if you are like me.

I still have notes from undergrad and grad school but they are at home and I have a lot. Do you have a specific subject you are looking for more info about? I think that would be better because I am not going to be able to scan all the notes I have.

I see, well being more specific as I mention I have the Das Book, and it will very helpful if you can give me a tutorial about the chapters to study.

In the case if you have resolved the even problems will be also great.

Thanks

I don't have the even problems solved sorry. I have the 5th edition of the Das book.

Here are some topics that were covered in the test that I took.

Chapter 1 Geotechnical Properties

1.7 - Soil Classification Systems

1.8 - Hydraulic Conductivity and

1.9 - Steady State Seapage

1.10 - Effective Stress (Know this well)

1.11 - Consolidation

1.12 - Primary Consolidation

1.13 - Time Rate of Consolidation (Secondary Consolidation) (Know this well)

Chapter 2 Natural Soil Deposits and Subsoil Exploration

2.10 Exploratory Borings in the Field

2.11 Procedures for Sampling Soil

Chapter 3 Shallow Foundations: Ultimate Bearing Capacity

3.3 Terzaghi's Bearing Capacity Theory

3.8 Meyerhof's Bearing Capacity

3.10 Eccentrically Loaded Foundations

Chapter 7 lateral Earth Pressure

Know this whole chapter well

Chapter 8 Retaining Walls

Know this whole chapter Well

Chapter 11 Pile Foundations

11.7 Meyerhof's method for estimated Qp

11.9 Vessic's method for estimated Qp

11.12 Frictional Resistance in Sand

11.13 Frictional Resistance in Clay

11.18 Elastic Settlement of Piles

They also threw in some randomn questions here and there that were definition type questions. So its good to at least browse through the book and know where different topics are located.

They also threw in some randomn questions here and there that were definition type questions. So its good to at least browse through the book and know where different topics are located.

(1) : Can you give example of definition type questions?

(2): Do we need to prepare for all listed topics of pile foundations?

I'm just listing topics that I can remember from the specific exam I took. In the outline that the NCEES gives out, piles or deep foundations are given a percentage portion. They are not very specific with subtopics of deep foundations. I'm pretty sure that they will be asking different questions and maybe touching on different topics. It would be best to study the whole chapter since all the material falls under the deep foundation topics and is valid to test.

If I had the time I would cover the whole chapter in full. IF I were struggling for time and I had to selectively pick the topic that had the best rate of return I would cover the pile foundation topics that I highlighted and definately know consolidation, shallow foundation bearing capacity, lateral earth pressure and retaining walls.

Here is an example of a definition type question. Note: This is not from the Test. I want to make sure I'm covering my ass. This is an example that I am making up to illustrate what I am talking about.

Q. A scraper bucket sampler is used when?

a. To retrieve undisturbed samples of soil.

b. To obtain disturbed sandy soil samples.

c. To retrieve clayey soil samples.

d. To win a million dollars.

Tha answer is b.

I don't have the even problems solved sorry. I have the 5th edition of the Das book.
Here are some topics that were covered in the test that I took.

Chapter 1 Geotechnical Properties

1.7 - Soil Classification Systems

1.8 - Hydraulic Conductivity and

1.9 - Steady State Seapage

1.10 - Effective Stress (Know this well)

1.11 - Consolidation

1.12 - Primary Consolidation

1.13 - Time Rate of Consolidation (Secondary Consolidation) (Know this well)

Chapter 2 Natural Soil Deposits and Subsoil Exploration

2.10 Exploratory Borings in the Field

2.11 Procedures for Sampling Soil

Chapter 3 Shallow Foundations: Ultimate Bearing Capacity

3.3 Terzaghi's Bearing Capacity Theory

3.8 Meyerhof's Bearing Capacity

3.10 Eccentrically Loaded Foundations

Chapter 7 lateral Earth Pressure

Know this whole chapter well

Chapter 8 Retaining Walls

Know this whole chapter Well

Santiagj,

Thanks for your response, so how many questions could we expect from these enlisted chapters in the aftenoon section?

I can't remember how many questions were specific to each chapter. I just remember that those topics were covered. Most had at least several questions. I remember that consolidation had several questions and consolidation of a group of piles. I think there was only one question on steady state seepage. A bunch of questions on retaining walls and effective stress. At least one on slope stability.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Where I said "know this chapter well" that means that I remember multiple questions being asked on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember how many questions were specific to each chapter. I just remember that those topics were covered. Most had at least several questions. I remember that consolidation had several questions and consolidation of a group of piles. I think there was only one question on steady state seepage. A bunch of questions on retaining walls and effective stress. At least one on slope stability.
Sorry I can't be more specific. Where I said "know this chapter well" that means that I remember multiple questions being asked on this topic.
Hi Santiagj,

I'm stuck with problem 11.7 (piles chapter). The problem is asking to find the allowable load for the pile and request that use the (alpha method to find Qs). I'm using to find Qu=Qp +Qs

the problem states that the pile is fully embedded in clay with Soil friction angle =0 , so I'm using for the point load Qp=9CuAp (9x70)(4x.381)=960 KN

Qs=(alphaxCuxL)p.....using figure 11.23 Cu/avg eff. stress=.5 so Qs=(.5x70x20)x 4x.381=1070 KN

Qall= 960+1070/3=676 KN close but not good.....the answear is 575 KN

I'm missing something...could you clarify?

Thanks

I have the 5th edition of the book. My problem is not matching what you are describing. Can you write out the whole problem? I might be able to take a look at it today, before noon. If I don't get to it today I wont be able to help you until next Tuesday since I'm leaving town.

I have the 5th edition of the book. My problem is not matching what you are describing. Can you write out the whole problem? I might be able to take a look at it today, before noon. If I don't get to it today I wont be able to help you until next Tuesday since I'm leaving town.

Here they are! ( I'm including the other method too)

11.7 A concrete pile 20 m long has a cross section of 381 mm x 381 mm is fully embedded in a sat clay layer Dsat=18.5 KN/m3, Soil angle= 0, and Cu= 70 KN/M2.

Assume that the water table lies below the tip of the pile. Determine the allowable load that the pile can carry. (Let FS=3). Use the (alpha) method to estimate the skin friction.

11.9 A concrete pile 60 ft long has a cross section 15 in x 15 in is fully embedded in a Sat clay layer. D sat= 122 ld/ft3, soil friction = 0, and Cu 1450 lb/ft2.

Assume that the grounwater table lies below the tip of the pile. Determine the allowable load that the pile can carry. (Let FS=3). Use the (lambda) method to estimate the skin resistance.

Any help will be appreciated!

Santiagj.doc

Attachments

• Santiagj.doc
    70 KB · Views: 57
Back