Gas Fires near Boston

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@P-E, I take it you're house is OK. Are they going to turn off your gas/electricity? 

MA and I aren't in the affected towns, but I think Mets is.  Power and gas was cut to those towns.  A lot of people were evacuated.  Lots of gas leaks

My guess was that a pressure reducing station failed and there wasn't a safety relief valve down stream so low pressure pipe got high pressure gas feeding several towns. 

My guess was that a pressure reducing station failed and there wasn't a safety relief valve down stream so low pressure pipe got high pressure gas feeding several towns. 
Local radio in Providence said that the gas company has been working in those areas replacing lines. Maybe they pressurized the wrong line? Crazy stuff. Hopefully @MetsFan is ok. 

This is nuts. My friend was telling me about this before I saw it on the news. Apparently his sister goes to college in Andover, but was luckily done with classes and elsewhere when the explosions started to happen.

I hope you're okay, Mets!

Holy moly, that's scary stuff.  Stay safe, everyone.

Hey guys, thanks for thinking of me!  I haven't been around in a while, been busy with work among other things.  Hope all is well with everyone!

It was definitely a crazy couple of days there and some people are still unable to return to their homes.  Columbia gas has set up temporary housing and put them up in hotels, but apparently, it's not enough for the amount of displaced people.  The streets are a mess right now since they are fixing the gas lines everywhere.  They are supposed to be done on November 12, so we'll see.

My family and I are ok, but it was scary coming home to text messages of emergency alerts.  Fortunately, we were able to return to our apartment that same night, but were without heat and hot water for a couple of days.  

Hey guys, thanks for thinking of me!  I haven't been around in a while, been busy with work among other things.  Hope all is well with everyone!

It was definitely a crazy couple of days there and some people are still unable to return to their homes.  Columbia gas has set up temporary housing and put them up in hotels, but apparently, it's not enough for the amount of displaced people.  The streets are a mess right now since they are fixing the gas lines everywhere.  They are supposed to be done on November 12, so we'll see.

My family and I are ok, but it was scary coming home to text messages of emergency alerts.  Fortunately, we were able to return to our apartment that same night, but were without heat and hot water for a couple of days.  
Glad you weren't affected too much.  The gas issue in my town was on the other side of town so we made out alright too.

Back