Friday the 13th and pre letter opening rituals

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trampus

Reaction score
I am in Las Vegas and of course my state is going to make sure we get our letters on Friday the 13th. Because why would anyone in Vegas be superstitious?

If I can get to the mailbox without crossing any black cats or breaking a mirror I should be fine but....

Any suggestions for a ritual I can perform to get rid of any bad voodoo my letter may have came across?

Definitely you should not even open the mail box today - you'd be hexed for sure. Wait until tomorrow, take the letter out of your mailbox, and if it gives you bad vibes, just burn it without opening it. That way you will be saved from any cursed dissappointment. Can you handle that?

Definitely you should not even open the mail box today - you'd be hexed for sure. Wait until tomorrow, take the letter out of your mailbox, and if it gives you bad vibes, just burn it without opening it. That way you will be saved from any cursed dissappointment. Can you handle that?
Actually, if you get any bad voodoo feelings as you approach the mailbox, just go ahead and burn the mailbox without even opening it to see if the letter is inside. Touching the letter without opening it will most certanly not bode well for you...

I get it, destroy the letter before reading it.

I find it hard to believe that everyone gets the letter and immediately opens it. Somebody in this forum has to have done something strange before opening the letter. I could see letting my girlfriend open it or putting the envelope up to a light. That would be a little strange.

Is there anyone out there that didn't just open up the letter immediately?

Is there anyone out there that didn't just open up the letter immediately?
I didn't. My wife set up for me to go to my parents house.

The whole time I was thinking she was crazy, I kept saying, but what if I don't pass....

Come to find out she could see through the envelope that I passed.

I am in Las Vegas and of course my state is going to make sure we get our letters on Friday the 13th. Because why would anyone in Vegas be superstitious?
If I can get to the mailbox without crossing any black cats or breaking a mirror I should be fine but....

Any suggestions for a ritual I can perform to get rid of any bad voodoo my letter may have came across?
You think that's bad? I got my letter on Christmas Eve last year, but was alreadyat my in-laws when the mail came. So I ended up getting word that I failed on Christmas Day! It's all good, though. I survived to fight another day!

As a good C & E Catholic, I had a St. Jude card when I took the test last October (was my 3rd time, and St. Jude is the saint of difficult causes.) When I opened the mailbox, I crossed myself :holyness:

and also sprayed cologne over the envelope.

Of course, I had gotten my letter on a Friday and also had two glasses of Merlot (gotta be sophisticated haha) before opening it.

You think that's bad? I got my letter on Christmas Eve last year, but was alreadyat my in-laws when the mail came. So I ended up getting word that I failed on Christmas Day! It's all good, though. I survived to fight another day!
You're taking it in October, right?

Dont eat anything that morning, only plain milk (maybe expired). Kill any insect and offer it to your God and any dead people who may have had grudge on you. Avoid seeing yourself in the mirror. Do not respond to anyone. When you approach the mailbox, lie down on the ground, pray to your favorite God and roll over three times. When you take the letter in your hand, say atleat 10 prayers. Open it from the Left to the right with a golden knife or use your hands. Read the last line first and then read the results.

If Passed.. Kill another insect

If failed.... drop down and mediate for a few minutes.. dont kill any more insects!!!!

no specific ritual here... just some added pre-letter opening anxiety.

I was always told that (in PA):

- If you passed, the envelope is thin.

- If you failed, the envelop is thicker.

Thin = "You passed" & more info will be sent later.

Thick = "You failed" & here is 30 pages of the application package to re-apply for the exam.

My first 2 times, I've had the hestiation for a moment of review..."it this considered thick or thin?"

On another note... anybody have any specific celebrations planned if/when you find out you passed?

Me? I'm thinking of screaming out one hell of a loud "YESSSSSSSSSSSS", followed by a shot of the nearest available tequilla. If all goes well, this is all concluded with a celebratory banging of the missus. I know, I know, real classy. I can dream, cant I?

Last edited by a moderator:
Me? I'm thinking of screaming out one hell of a loud "YESSSSSSSSSSSS", followed by a shot of the nearest available tequilla. If all goes well, this is all concluded with a celebratory banging of the missus. I know, I know, real classy. I can dream, cant I?
I did something along those lines myself with a few modifications: I had a Corona & pizza dinner, indicated that I wanted a "celebratory banging" but was promptly shot down because our two kids were still awake (unfortunatley she works early and is usually in bed before the kids). Consequently I was stuck :smileyballs: .

I am curious though as to if anyone did get their letter on the 13th and their own "Friday the 13th" ritual.

I opened my letter more than 48 hours after receiving it. My father (who is a nosy, critical, pessimist) brought the letter over from our family's PO box. I put the letter in a drawer because I suspected it was a failure notice and I had not been expecting it to come so soon.

A few hours after Friday the 13th was over I was home from partying and knew all I would need to do was go to bed. I got up to the courage to open it, read: Congratulations, shouted and called the friend I'd just dropped off at home so we could go back out for a 3am milkshake (I live in Reno, NV which is a 24 hour town).

I have to believe we PE test takers are some of the most superstitious, rumorous, religious, and determined peoples anywhere in the first world!

I opened my letter more than 48 hours after receiving it. My father (who is a nosy, critical, pessimist) brought the letter over from our family's PO box. I put the letter in a drawer because I suspected it was a failure notice and I had not been expecting it to come so soon.
A few hours after Friday the 13th was over I was home from partying and knew all I would need to do was go to bed. I got up to the courage to open it, read: Congratulations, shouted and called the friend I'd just dropped off at home so we could go back out for a 3am milkshake (I live in Reno, NV which is a 24 hour town).

I have to believe we PE test takers are some of the most superstitious, rumorous, religious, and determined peoples anywhere in the first world!
For you "engineer types" out there, who insist on "logical reasoning" and "empirical evidence", this post should quell any skepticism you may have left about the validity of these so-called "superstitious" rituals. Obviously, if this engineer had opened the letter before the passing of that inherently unlucky day, he most assuredly would have seen much less favorable results. You can't argue with results such convincing results. :holyness:

Latest posts

Back