Fire Alarm Strobes in Warehouse

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volts006

Reaction score
Anybody know of any requirement for fire alarm strobe layout in warehouse rack aisles longer than 100'? I know 100' typically for corridors but should we mount to the racks for the aisles longer than 100'?

2007 NFPA 72 7.5.4.4.5 Max 100' between appliances and there must be one w/in 15' of the end of the corridor.

(for corridors 20' or less in width)

2007 NFPA 72 7.5.4.4.5 Max 100' between appliances and there must be one w/in 15' of the end of the corridor.
(for corridors 20' or less in width)
Capt. Worley have you mounted them to the storage racks before? I have no columns or wall space to mount to.

I have seen them mounted on racks before. You'd have to check the code.

NFPA 72 doesn't say anything specifically about what surface a strobe or speaker can be mounted on....just the height and candela requirements. Local city codes could make some modifications...it's possible. Your biggest issue IMHO is whether the location you're installing to is fixed or not...

Have you considered ceiling mount?? You're allowed to ceiling mount as long as the lens height does not exceed 30 feet. If the ceiling happens to exceed 30 feet, you could extend the junction box down to 30 feet or below.

Back