FE DIAGNOSTICS CIVIL PM APRIL 2008

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention one important thing that make copy for all samples to large paper. DO NOT DIRECTLY TO DO ALL QUESTIONS ON THOSE BOOK. I did write on my book on the first try but I think it will only make you skip a lot of calculation and pensile mark because some pages that you need to bend the pages and that will make you unconfortable to do some problems.

Thanks chaocl for the tips. I am working my way through the FERM. I am just doing the FE style prob and diagnostic test for each section. I am writing down the ones I get wrong and will come back to those when I get through the book. I am also taking a percentage of how well I did and am going to focus on the weaker areas again at the end of my study schedule. I spend 2 hours a day studying using only the NCEES manual to work problems. Statics beat me down, but I did okay on dynamics and fluids. Now I am in Mechanics. I am trying to stay on a consistent schedule, but it gets hard with a one yr old and a husband who thinks I need a break from studying.

I just got my results today. I failed, here are my diagnostics:

Mathematics 63%

Engineering Probability and Statistics 50%

Chemistry 73%

Computers 50%

Ethics and Business Practices 100%

Engineering Economics 40%

Engineering Mechanics (Statics and Dynamics) 46%

Strength of Materials 38%

Material Properties 50%

Fluid Mechanics 62%

Electricity and Magnetism 18%

Thermodynamics 75%

AM avg 55%

Advanced Engineering Mathematics 50%

Engineering Probability and Statistics 80%

Biology 67%

Engineering Economics 83%

Application of Engineering Mechanics 38%

Engineering of Materials 29%

Fluids 33%

Electricity and Magnetism 29%

Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer 44%

PM avg 50%

Overall avg 52.5%

I'm not quite sure how I did not pass. I thought the typical passing score is 50%, which I obtained. Does anyone know what the cut off score was? Any insight would help. Thanks.

Your diagnostic looks good. I don't think anyone knows what the cut score is. I think the standard is 50-55%. It must have been more like 55% for you not to have passed. From what I calculate you got 65pts in the morning and 56pts. in the afternoon which leaves a total of 121pts. They always say shoot for 120 so they musted had a higher cut score this time around. I failed to, but I had 116 pts. You should definetly take it again you are mostly likely right on the edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your diagnostic looks good. I don't think anyone knows what the cut score is. I think the standard is 50-55%. It must have been more like 55% for you not to have passed. From what I calculate you got 65pts in the morning and 56pts. in the afternoon which leaves a total of 121pts. They always say shoot for 120 so they musted had a higher cut score this time around. I failed to, but I had 116 pts. You should definetly take it again you are mostly likely right on the edge.
Just curious who the "they" are that you refer to in your post? It seems like when ever I listen to "them", "they" steer me the wrong way. Shoot for 240 - don't just try and get enough to pass. No one knows the passing score except NCEES and they (the only "they" that matter) don't say what it is. Good luck!

Just curious who the "they" are that you refer to in your post? It seems like when ever I listen to "them", "they" steer me the wrong way. Shoot for 240 - don't just try and get enough to pass. No one knows the passing score except NCEES and they (the only "they" that matter) don't say what it is. Good luck!
To clarify: Most instructors and the FERM say the cut is usually around 120 pts. Your right Mike that no one knows what the cut score is except the NCEES and according to what state you take it in they may not go with what the NCEES set. From what I understand is it is up to the state. But that is neither here nor there. I agree with you, try to get the most points you possibly can. I am studying my but off to do just that the next time. I think I stated no one knew for sure what it is. I was just stating that most review courses and books (they) tell you it is around 50-55%. I think that is not to freak us (the ones taking and studying for the test ) out where we feel so overwhelmed that we can't possibly know everything and will never pass. Lets face it, there are alot of topics to cover, and most people are not familiar with everyone, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't study and prepare the best that you can. So study and shoot for the 240, just as Mike stated, don't worry with the cut score. I still think you were close, and definetely should take it again.

I agree lets aim 100% for this exam, a slight difference would put us on the passing mark, me too im preparing for April 2009.

Back