Fast Job Hunt

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear, Slugger.  Good luck on the (hopefully speedy) job hunt!

I only saw the title before I saw who posted it and I hoped it wasn't you posting. Tough break. Hope something pops up soon. 

Sorry to hear about that, Slugger.  I hope you can find something soon.

After talking to some previous direct reports who left my company I got laid off from last year, I called my old boss who was forced to lay me off from corporate.  He is an old school guy that worked his way up to a Senior Manager the hard way without college.  He was in tears when he laid me off, while I kept a good attitude which he wasn't expecting. 

Anyways, he has a Sr. Engineer position directly under him that is open from one of my previous direct reports leaving.  He told me to apply for that job as a safety net, but he wanted me to apply for a Sr Operations Manager position that has been created, and needs someone with the knowledge that I have learned from him plus my MBA.  If that one comes through, this whole thing could be a blessing in disguise.   It would mean almost doubling my salary.

Sounds promising! Good luck Slugger, I hope it works out better than you could've imagined.

My brother was saying the O&G market in Colorado seems to be picking up again (he used to work on the rigs). It was a very fickle market in the half dozen years he was in it (laid off last year), largely dependent on the moodswings of Saudi Arabian princes and if they want another Lamborghini...

Still waiting on a call. 

Yes about the Saudi Arabian princes.  I used to have a lower ranked prince reporting to me for a year when I was at TDW.  He once went on a long rant how the higher level princes with all of the $$$ are basically drug addicts flying drugs, and lots of crazy stuff.  It is scary thinking world stability of peace and economy is largely controlled by the whims of drug addicts.  My last job had two PHD's from Iran reporting to me which has another cultural difference than the typical person from OK.

My brother was saying the O&G market in Colorado seems to be picking up again (he used to work on the rigs). It was a very fickle market in the half dozen years he was in it (laid off last year), largely dependent on the moodswings of Saudi Arabian princes and if they want another Lamborghini...
Some of the companies are hiring back slowly while the service companies have been making cuts.  We will see what happens.  I did have a good call from HR of my former employer.  Hopefully something there works out.  I have also been trying to work something into the pipeline companies.  One of the big storage companies just lost 1/3rd of their stock price today from Friday. 

Back